Redfoot not eating

bozotony

Location (City and/or State)
Hialeah Florida
My redfoot yhorm is not eating his collard greens, kale, mustard and turnip greens. I first got him spring mix due to my dad making a mistake. He ate the spring mix completely. But now i got a mix of collard, mustard, turnip greens and kale. Which he is not eating. Why?? i thought he would like those more. Is he going to go on a hunger strike? Does spring mix taste better. Wierd, i guess ill just buy spring mix tomorrow and stick with that plus mazuri n fruit

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My redfoot yhorm is not eating his collard greens, kale, mustard and turnip greens. I first got him spring mix due to my dad making a mistake. He ate the spring mix completely. But now i got a mix of collard, mustard, turnip greens and kale. Which he is not eating. Why?? i thought he would like those more. Is he going to go on a hunger strike? Does spring mix taste better. Wierd, i guess ill just buy spring mix tomorrow and stick with that plus mazuri n fruit
If he is not used to eating those foods, or any other foods, it will take time to introduce them. Chop up small amounts and thoroughly mix it in with the favorite foods that have been pre-wetted with plain water or blended cucumber to make the new stuff stick to them. It will take weeks or months to get the tortoise used to the new tastes, smells and textures of any new and unfamiliar food. It is worth the time and effort if you want him to remain healthy. Also, try to use more natural foods instead of grocery store foods. Kudzu leaves, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, opuntia pads, a wide assortment of weeds and flowers, etc...

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
If he is not used to eating those foods, or any other foods, it will take time to introduce them. Chop up small amounts and thoroughly mix it in with the favorite foods that have been pre-wetted with plain water or blended cucumber to make the new stuff stick to them. It will take weeks or months to get the tortoise used to the new tastes, smells and textures of any new and unfamiliar food. It is worth the time and effort if you want him to remain healthy. Also, try to use more natural foods instead of grocery store foods. Kudzu leaves, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, opuntia pads, a wide assortment of weeds and flowers, etc...
well nevermind lol, i came back and the food was eaten. he just didnt eat it yesterday for some reason

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
well nevermind lol, i came back and the food was eaten. he just didnt eat it yesterday for some reason
It's very common for a tortoise to be reluctant to eat anything other than their favorite foods.
Especially in young tortoises.
But all of them will eat when they get hungry enough