Redfoot plastron

CodyG

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus
Hello everyone! Update post with some photos, yes it's not perfect as I'm working to remedy his plastron issues. Got him on fresh fir bark as my pet store was out of orchid, stopped his basking lamp and set up his 2nd CHE. Gave him his soak and applied athletes foot cream all along his plastron end to end. Temps are good at around 83 Fahrenheit and 80% humidity. I'll remove the fogger as well and continue with warm water in the corners. The light I use is a tropical 34.5" 5.0 uvb bulb, I forgot to take a photo of it's packaging but I think it's by Zoo Med. Thank you guys again for the assistance, I feel like a bad owner letting it go as long as I did not knowing it was a condition he was sold to me in. My tort loves to soak in his shallow water dish but otherwise the top is completely dry. I'm already looking into bigger enclosure ideas, most likely a greenhouse setup similar to Maggie's probably using PVC and greenhouse plastic, what is a good base that's leak proof?

Attachments

• 20240615_154005.jpg
    20240615_154005.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240615_154021.jpg
    20240615_154021.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240615_154027.jpg
    20240615_154027.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240615_154102.jpg
    20240615_154102.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240615_154131.jpg
    20240615_154131.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello everyone! Update post with some photos, yes it's not perfect as I'm working to remedy his plastron issues. Got him on fresh fir bark as my pet store was out of orchid, stopped his basking lamp and set up his 2nd CHE. Gave him his soak and applied athletes foot cream all along his plastron end to end. Temps are good at around 83 Fahrenheit and 80% humidity. I'll remove the fogger as well and continue with warm water in the corners. The light I use is a tropical 34.5" 5.0 uvb bulb, I forgot to take a photo of it's packaging but I think it's by Zoo Med. Thank you guys again for the assistance, I feel like a bad owner letting it go as long as I did not knowing it was a condition he was sold to me in. My tort loves to soak in his shallow water dish but otherwise the top is completely dry. I'm already looking into bigger enclosure ideas, most likely a greenhouse setup similar to Maggie's probably using PVC and greenhouse plastic, what is a good base that's leak proof?
Good good well done! For the next week or more don’t worry about adding any more water for now(unless you notice it’s gone dry underneath) because whilst you guy recovers from the fungal issue it’ll be good to keep things on the drier side, plus fresh substrate always keeps the humidity up for a bit.
I’m noticing your two CHE’s on in a double dome fitting? I’d try and put the two into separate fittings if you can so you’re not necessarily creating a ‘warmer end’ and a ‘cooler end’ as it’s better to aim for even heat distribution in a red foot set up to create that nice 82-84 ambient, you might get away with it for now in your sized set up by the sounds of your monitors, though if you don’t have one already, it’d be good to get yourself a temp good and scan the entire floor level, they’re pretty cheap. But yeah glad you’re removing the fogger too🙂
For your uv did the packaging look like the first picture I’ve attached below? I believe people recommend using the 10.0 in that brand(second pic) mounted about 18-20 inches from the substrate, but @Alex and the Redfoot could you help me out there? Sorry I don’t use that brand so double checking for you🙂
You’re right in that you will need to start looking to get a size upgrade together as soon as you can, I can see by the pictures your guy has outgrown this tank. Not to fear though! The greenhouse set up you’re looking into can be made very cost effectively! They’re a great starter enclosure for a red foot😊
To make one people simply either build some sort of base, the pvc material you mentioned would be good! or, take the shelves out a bookcase, lie flat and line, or even a lined flower bed base! If you use some kind of wood just make sure it’s safe and not meant to give off any potential toxic fumes. Whatever base you go for can be made leak proof by lining with pond liner👍🏻Then secure the greenhouse frame on top, you can even hang your lights on the frame! Wrap the wires round so they’re the height you need them at(18-21inches for the uv and check with heat gun for your bulbs&place the thermostat probe in the appropriate place)then wrap cable ties around the wire to secure in place🙂
If you can’t find the perfect fit greenhouse for your base, simply place it over like the one with the white base in the photo, but I’d put some liner under the base and cover to stop condensate getting on your floor.

Ignore whatever else is in these exclosures pictured, they’re just photo examples of a greenhouse set ups to give you a better idea👍🏻

Also bless you don’t feel bad, you’ve noticed something wasn’t right and you’ve found your way to the best possible place for up to date correct care information! And you’re taking the needed steps to improve things moving forward❤️keep us updated on your progress and any further questions, please ask away!😊

Attachments

• IMG_1732.png
    IMG_1732.png
    249.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1733.jpeg
    IMG_1733.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1675.jpeg
    IMG_1675.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1674.jpeg
    IMG_1674.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1628.png
    IMG_1628.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 2

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Oh sorry just one more thing! I would recommend switching your water dish out for a shallow terracotta saucer sitting flush with the substrate, they’re considered the safest especially for small young torts, most water dishes you get in store lack any grip in the event the tortoise flips itself, terracotta saucers have texture.
To make this safer for now perhaps you could put some large stones(not small enough to be a swallowing hazard)or slate into the dish🙂

CodyG

Columbus
Good good well done! For the next week or more don’t worry about adding any more water for now(unless you notice it’s gone dry underneath) because whilst you guy recovers from the fungal issue it’ll be good to keep things on the drier side, plus fresh substrate always keeps the humidity up for a bit.
I’m noticing your two CHE’s on in a double dome fitting? I’d try and put the two into separate fittings if you can so you’re not necessarily creating a ‘warmer end’ and a ‘cooler end’ as it’s better to aim for even heat distribution in a red foot set up to create that nice 82-84 ambient, you might get away with it for now in your sized set up by the sounds of your monitors, though if you don’t have one already, it’d be good to get yourself a temp good and scan the entire floor level, they’re pretty cheap. But yeah glad you’re removing the fogger too🙂
For your uv did the packaging look like the first picture I’ve attached below? I believe people recommend using the 10.0 in that brand(second pic) mounted about 18-20 inches from the substrate, but @Alex and the Redfoot could you help me out there? Sorry I don’t use that brand so double checking for you🙂
You’re right in that you will need to start looking to get a size upgrade together as soon as you can, I can see by the pictures your guy has outgrown this tank. Not to fear though! The greenhouse set up you’re looking into can be made very cost effectively! They’re a great starter enclosure for a red foot😊
To make one people simply either build some sort of base, the pvc material you mentioned would be good! or, take the shelves out a bookcase, lie flat and line, or even a lined flower bed base! If you use some kind of wood just make sure it’s safe and not meant to give off any potential toxic fumes. Whatever base you go for can be made leak proof by lining with pond liner👍🏻Then secure the greenhouse frame on top, you can even hang your lights on the frame! Wrap the wires round so they’re the height you need them at(18-21inches for the uv and check with heat gun for your bulbs&place the thermostat probe in the appropriate place)then wrap cable ties around the wire to secure in place🙂
If you can’t find the perfect fit greenhouse for your base, simply place it over like the one with the white base in the photo, but I’d put some liner under the base and cover to stop condensate getting on your floor.

Ignore whatever else is in these exclosures pictured, they’re just photo examples of a greenhouse set ups to give you a better idea👍🏻

Also bless you don’t feel bad, you’ve noticed something wasn’t right and you’ve found your way to the best possible place for up to date correct care information! And you’re taking the needed steps to improve things moving forward❤️keep us updated on your progress and any further questions, please ask away!😊
I do have the two CHEs separated, the double dome was just an extra I had so I could keep them seperated, one on the right and the other on the left. I do have a 10.0 bulb as well I could install instead of the 5.0. I also do have an IR temp gun, which I measure enclosure temp and shell temp to make sure it's good. I know the wall readers can be inaccurate so I have that as well to get accurate readings.

CodyG

Columbus
Oh sorry just one more thing! I would recommend switching your water dish out for a shallow terracotta saucer sitting flush with the substrate, they’re considered the safest especially for small young torts, most water dishes you get in store lack any grip in the event the tortoise flips itself, terracotta saucers have texture.
To make this safer for now perhaps you could put some large stones(not small enough to be a swallowing hazard)or slate into the dish🙂
Great idea, thank you. He loves to soak so I definitely get that.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I do have the two CHEs separated, the double dome was just an extra I had so I could keep them seperated, one on the right and the other on the left. I do have a 10.0 bulb as well I could install instead of the 5.0. I also do have an IR temp gun, which I measure enclosure temp and shell temp to make sure it's good. I know the wall readers can be inaccurate so I have that as well to get accurate readings.
Ah ok no worries that’s fine😊
Oh that’s good! It might be worth switching, wait for another member to confirm that for you because as I say I don’t use that brand, but I’m 99% sure that’s what people go for here that do use it.
Brilliant that’s great! That’ll always come in so handy when setting a new environment up too! Yeah the gauges do tend to be a bit less accurate than the digital monitors so it’s good you double check😊👍

CodyG

Columbus
Ah ok no worries that’s fine😊
Oh that’s good! It might be worth switching, wait for another member to confirm that for you because as I say I don’t use that brand, but I’m 99% sure that’s what people go for here that do use it.
Brilliant that’s great! That’ll always come in so handy when setting a new environment up too! Yeah the gauges do tend to be a bit less accurate than the digital monitors so it’s good you double check😊👍
This is the brand of light I have, I have a 10.0 by the same brand as well still in it's box. I've UV checked it as well to know that's it's actually giving off UV. I do let him outside occasionally as well, I'm in Ohio so our weather isn't perfect but I let him out on the patio to get some real sun too when it's warm and humid enough

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240615_184335_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240615_184335_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This is the brand of light I have, I have a 10.0 by the same brand as well still in it's box. I've UV checked it as well to know that's it's actually giving off UV. I do let him outside occasionally as well, I'm in Ohio so our weather isn't perfect but I let him out on the patio to get some real sun too when it's warm and humid enough
I can’t speak to that brand because I don’t have personal experience with it but I’m sure members on here do, oh do you have a solar meter? That’s good cause you can tell exactly what UVI zone you’re in, so it’s handy you have that!

I’m sure you do, but I always say it to new members cause can’t take for granted everyone does, if you’re giving some free roam outdoors, especially at your guys age, to be there with them closely observing. Obviously at your guys age he can’t be outdoors long now anyway👍once he is I’m sure you’ll have an appropriate secure area set up for days your climate allows it🙂