Redfoot scutes are missing... need advice

gustaf

5 Year Member
I just got three redfoots today. Two are healthy but one has major problems. Her scutes are missing, revealing her bony shell. She also weighs significantly less than the other two and they are all about the same size. She is about 7 1/2". Check out the pics. Has anyone here dealt with this before? I would appreciate some good advice on how to treat her.

Attachments

• 1414961113880.jpg
    1414961113880.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 1414961152591.jpg
    1414961152591.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 78

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know what it does to the actual tortoise, however, I DO know that it grows back (under that dead bone you see).

gustaf

5 Year Member
Is there something i can put on her shell? Some kind of sealer for protection and maybe that can promote healing or something?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. The white you see is dead bone. The healing happens UNDER that layer of bone.

gustaf

5 Year Member
The healing happens under the dead white bone? So can the scutes eventually grow back?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Up until seeing YOUR RF tortoise, this was the worst case I had ever seen:

2012 Rescue #11 e.jpg

I noticed that the edges of some of the dead bone were lifting, so I gently picked at it and it just popped right off, showing new keratin underneath. I wish I had taken a picture of the new stuff, but I didn't think about it and he's been adopted out now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Incidentally, this takes a very, very long time. In your tortoise's case, probably a couple years or more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that is unbelievable. The scutes that are left look really healthy too. I wonder what would have caused so much to fall off and why the owners did nothing or if they did do something what, as it must not have helped. Good luck, hope s/he stays healthy and it grows back. Keep us updated.

Turtlepete

South Florida
As appalling as it is, thats a pretty interesting picture. Never seen that before myself. Would be interested to hear what causes this?
I would assume you will want to be incredibly careful about her damaging the exposed bone….Prevent her from scratching it to much. Wouldn't want a fungus or a rot or something to take hold. I assume she could perhaps be more susceptible to this without the scutes? It will heal eventually, as Yvonne says, but I really don't think there is anything you can do to speed up the process. Just keep her clean.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Wow, that looks terrible. We really do have to wonder what the heck happened to her to cause that to happen. Please keep this updated!

gustaf

5 Year Member
Its hard not to do something. I was tempted to use some of that brush- on liquid bandaid for some protection and its supposed to be an antiseptic as well... or see if there is some non toxic clearcoat or paint that would seal it up and protect it. I dont know if it would help speed healing and prevent infection or do more harm than good so i guess i better leave it alone and just keep it clean.
I got her from a buddy of mine. He is a breeder and he had just got her with a group and she was like that when he got her. The person he bought it from said it had been that way for awhile... maybe a couple years. Thats alarming. I dont know how it got started. A couple of the other scutes are lifting a little on the edges as well. I think i will leave them alone.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I imagine a massive fungus problem, that was never treated. Leaving it alone is prob. the best course.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Its hard not to do something. I was tempted to use some of that brush- on liquid bandaid for some protection and its supposed to be an antiseptic as well... or see if there is some non toxic clearcoat or paint that would seal it up and protect it. I dont know if it would help speed healing and prevent infection or do more harm than good so i guess i better leave it alone and just keep it clean.
I got her from a buddy of mine. He is a breeder and he had just got her with a group and she was like that when he got her. The person he bought it from said it had been that way for awhile... maybe a couple years. Thats alarming. I dont know how it got started. A couple of the other scutes are lifting a little on the edges as well. I think i will leave them alone.

I would NOT apply any kind of paint or sealer or clearcoat….That would likely prevent healing from taking place. I would just leave it alone and keep it clean.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't put anything on it. I would think that would hinder the new stuff underneath from growing properly. I just wonder though, if she has been that way for quite some time already, possibly a couple years, I wonder if it will really grow back.
Keep us updated. Maybe @Yvonne G could confirm or not if you could possibly give it some antiseptic baths, but not leaving it on, on,y for the bath.

gustaf

5 Year Member
Yvonne i would be curious to see how that tortoise you showed me in the pic looks now.

gustaf

5 Year Member
Whatever this is I think it has definately taken a toll on her. She is definately under weight. I need to give her lots of TLC and get some weight back on her. She is noticibly lighter than my other rf's of the same size.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
She is female, the others are male?
perhaps separation is for the best.