Redfoot sleeping habits

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
I've noticed my redfoot likes to every once in a while dig a hole and then poke his nose out and stay there... For days at a time. My question is, should I be concerned about him not eating or drinking in there. How many days should I wait before intervening. In the past I just dig him up and put him by his good then he goes back to his normal routine. I don't want to disturb a natural cycle though so any clarification will help!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
How old is he? Mine are 11 months and do the same thing. I never really worried much about it since their weights were steadily increasing every month.

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
He's about a year and a half old now. I always figured that he'd just come out and look for food if he really wanted it so hopefully it isn't a big deal!

muu

Mine is 12 months, he was like that when I first got him at 3 months and gradually became more and more active. But this last fortnight or so he's gone back to his old ways. I've been having the same worries as you. I've turned his temps up by 1 degree and gave him his favourite steak mince. That seems to have perked him up a bit. I've also been soaking him daily in the hope that he will drink whilst he's in his pool. Someone suggested to me that this is quite natural for them in the winter almost like a semi hibernation.

muu

He's been back to his old self today. So hopefully it's worked

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
That is good to hear. Like I said if it starts to worry me too much I may just take him out and he should perk back up.