Redfoot temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhbgirl

5 Year Member
I live in Idaho and it is really cold this winter so it can be a struggle to control the temperature in my tortoises enclosure. I use a 100 wt heat bulb as well as a bulb for UVB. I also try to keep the room warm with a heater. What wattage do you guys use for a bulb? Also the enclosure is on the ground but I'm going to put it on a table so maybe that will help. If you have any tips that would be helpful. My babies look bumpy but that's how they looked when I bought them at Petco.

image-3595035681.png

image-3426499672.png

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
your temps should be in the 70's to 80's......Wattage of bulb vs size of enclosure x room temp will vary. Your best bet would be to get a temp gun and check different spots within your enclosure. This will allow you to choose the best wattage bulb/ CHE to fit your needs.
:)
JD~

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
I keep mine high 70' s to high 80' s with 75 to 80% humidity. Cute little guys you got...

mhbgirl

5 Year Member
I'm thinking of buying a bigger watt bulb maybe a 125 or 150 watt because it just doesn't seem warm enough for them. I did a little test with the thermometer that I have which I'm not sure I trust. While on the side of the cage the thermometer reads 70 degrees then I put the thermometer under the basking area which is like 6 inches from where it was on the wall and it went up to 120 degrees! I think the plastic on the thermometer makes it seem hotter. I'm definitely going to buy a temp gun.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I find my Tort is most active around 75-78, and around 80% Humidity.

I know the struggle, as up here in New Hampshire, it's bitter cold in the winter and not very humid.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
It probably is around 120 if you are getting the temp of the hottest part of the basking area. I have a Zoo Med Tortoise House also, and I use a 75w basking and it gets to 105 so I raised the lights a little to lower it, with higher wattage, and the lights only being 10-12 inches from the substrate it is def possible its getting that hot. I keep my day light on 12 hrs and my night is on 24/7. They are on opposite ends of the metal grid. I would at least add another lighting/heating fixture to the other half (the 2nd house)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Covering a minimum of 3/4 your enclosure will do wonders for upping your temps and maintaining a good humidity. I have my enclosures completely covered with plexiglass and run 100-watt CHE's on thermostats to maintain 80-82F on the cool side and 85F on the warm side 24/7.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45960.html

mhbgirl

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
Covering a minimum of 3/4 your enclosure will do wonders for upping your temps and maintaining a good humidity. I have my enclosures completely covered with plexiglass and run 100-watt CHE's on thermostats to maintain 80-82F on the cool side and 85F on the warm side 24/7.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45960.html

I covered the tortoise house with some extra wood from the enclosure that I don't use, so far it seems to have been helping with the temps and humidity. I would like to get plexiglass eventually. Where do you get plexiglass and how did you get it to be the right size?

image-644884130.png

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Your improvements look good.

I purchased plexiglass at Lowes/Home Depot and they cut it to the dimensions I specified. It's not the cheapest material to work with.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Point of order.... heating light-shy red-footed tortoises with light bulbs is counterproductive. Try things like ceramic heating elements, room heaters, heating cables or ropes, etc. Mostly enclosing their space helps a LOT in the cooler parts of the country as well.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I think my Rosie is odd then. I had her enclosure with half lit/heated by a MVB and the other half with a 150W MVB and she never went into the darker side until I put a flood lamp over there.

I'm in South Carolina but I still have to work to keep up the heat and did so by building a fully enclosed enclosure (can be seen in my signature). It helps up the humidity too, which might help with the bumpiness of your two that you're concerned about.

And if you don't want to splurge on plexiglass I've seen some members make wooden or PVC pipe frames to build a tent over the enclosure and cover it with essentially a plastic sheet/drop cloth to hold in heat and humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.