Humidity and temperature

Rufina

Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
I know this is a much discussed topic but I just can’t seem to get my red foot’s enclosure regulated. Right now I use a humidifier and a portable heater plus a heating pad. I try to cover her enclosure (a large shower stall) with plastic sheeting but then I can’t use the heater which I’m sure dries the air anyway.
SHe (we went from Rufus to Rufina and now I think she/he really is a male) is not very active now and not eating much as it is very cold here in Oregon and I can’t afford to heat my house as most people do.
Could someone help me figure out how to make her life better? I am looking into a larger table for her. What equipment should I get?

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Have you considered picking up a mylar grow tent? They're inexpensive and are an absolutely dream when it comes to keeping in heat and humidity.

Any pics of your current setup?

daniellenc

Maryland
The only way to hold in heat and humidity is a covered enclosure unfortunately. The grow tents are awesome albeit a bit of a pain to adjust daily with needing to go in and out but allow enough height to hang lights and a CHE safely. You can also buy pvc and construct a frame to cover the enclosure and use a shower curtain to seal it. Same issue as the grow tent with accessing the cage though. You can also buy a tote with lid and modify it to mount the lighting inside and cut a hole for the CHE. Either way without a heat source you're asking for a RI and will surely have a dormant tortoise.