Redfoot Tortoise Rescue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
60 miles south of Chicago
Anyone know of a REPUTABLE redfoot tortoise rescue??
NO. I AM NOT GETTING RID OF MY STAGGER LEE.

I am just curious if there are any reputable ones around.:D

I did a google search, and couldn't find any.

If there isn't a "redfoot" rescue, then is there an "All-Tortoise-Species" rescue that is reputable and good?
And I mean, they take good care of their tortoises, are involved in the community, are great with communication, and do a lot to educate the public on tortoises?

I'd prefer an established organization, not an individual person that does rescue from their own yard (don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY appreciate the work those people do, believe me!).

Thanks, guys!

13Fox150

5 Year Member
I know you are looking for an organization but if you don't find one I am sure there are people right here on this forum that would be more than happy to take on a few rescues. Many of them are probably more knowledgeable and capable then the kind of organization you are looking for. Good luck with your search.

Justin

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Thank you, Justin.:D
I am not looking for a redfoot rescue with the intent of finding someone to take in rescues or even adopt rescues out.:D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Chewbecca said:
NO. I AM NOT GETTING RID OF MY STAGGER LEE.

So....does Stagger know you're typing this? Is he giving you "the look"? :cool:

You know you won't be able to keep it secret from him for long. :p

So...do we get to be "in on" the secret? You know you can trust us! ;)

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
The secret really isn't a secret. hahaha:D

My company makes custom leather dog collars and leads (leather bracelets, too), and we recently launched a, er...what should I call it? A "program" called "Collars for Causes".
Where we get together with rescue organizations that we support the cause of, and design a collar specifically for that rescue.
10% of proceeds of every collar sale, of that rescue's specific collar, goes specifically towards that rescue for education and supplies.

I have a really cool collar design in mind that will consist of a tortoise concho (which we have available), and I was going to put it either on black leather or our cognac (brown) leather. I was going to deck it out with a random pattern of red rhinestones, and flat round spots in either silver or brass. The collar would be about 1 1/4" wide (to accommodate the size of the tortoise concho). If it goes onto collar the way I have it visioned in my head, it's going to look NICE.:D

I would like to create this product, and offer it to the public for purchase, and let our customers know that 10% of every collar sale will be going to benefit a reputable redfoot tortoise rescue.
I would aptly name the collar "The Stagger Lee" after Your Royal Lumpy Highness (and tortoise love of my life), Stagger Lee.

But I need to locate a reputable redfoot tortoise rescue that would be willing to agree to something like this.
We are already in the works to do this with a few reputable dog rescues/educational programs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think very highly of Julie Maguire at Turtle Rescue of Long Island.

M

Maggie Cummings

She can be mean if she knows you feed strawberries to your tortoise...:D

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
She can be mean if she knows you feed strawberries to your tortoise...:D

But redfoots can eat strawberries, so are you talking about other tortoises?:D

I know she's a redfoot tortoise rescue, specifically.
I'll be hard pressed to find one of those, so I'm more than satisfied with an all species tortoise rescue, especially if it's reputable.:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sure Maggie was just being funny. Remember, Maggie's mind set is usually on Bob...no strawberries for Bob!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh yes...I know Maggie was just being funny. I was just wondering if there was a story behind the strawberry comment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, its just that they really lay into you on the African Tortoise Group over at YAHOO if you feed fruit to your African Tortoise.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
If it works out, please post the contact info on TFO. I wouldn't mind ordering a Stagger Lee collar as a tribute to my favorite philanthropic chelonian. :D

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:
If it works out, please post the contact info on TFO. I wouldn't mind ordering a Stagger Lee collar as a tribute to my favorite philanthropic chelonian. :D

Do you mind mixing brass colored and silver colored metals?

I ask because the tortoise concho is silver in color, and the casing on the red rhinestones is silver in color. But I was going to decorate with brass flat spots.

Red rhinestones (not this big, I took this with my macro lens, and I cropped the pic, so it makes it look bigger).
2-redrhinestone.jpg

Brass flat head spots:
2-flatroundspotbrass.jpg

Or I could just use silver round flat head spots:
2-silverdomespot.jpg

And I may use brass hardware on it (buckle, D-Ring, and strap keeper).

I was going to put the rhinestones and brass spots in just a random-ish pattern around the collar with the tortoise concho in the center.
I was thinking brass because it's closer to the color of their scutes than silver is.
But I can do silver as well.
The "display" collar will be done in black leather and lined in our red suede (super soft awesomeness).
But I will offer it in cognac as well.

What do you think?
Brass round flat head spots, or silver round flat head spots?

muddled said:
I think you already found somebody, but if you're interested, the author of "Redfoots & YellowFoots" also owns a rehab facility in Florida and is a redfoot tortoise breeder. =)

www.turtlerescueusa.com

Holy crap!
I looked at some of the pictures of some of the turtles and tortoises in rehab...brought tears to my eyes that people can be SOOO CRUEL.

M

Maggie Cummings

I need to qualify a statement I made about Julie because as usual I can't say something in fun that doesn't get all blown up out of proportion. I have known Julie for several years and she absolutely disapproves of me giving strawberries to Bob as treats. So it's kind of a joke now between her and I about my treating Bob that way. I tease her and say how mean she is like that. But as usual I get jumped on because Julie is an icon of the tortoise world. Julie rescues tortoises, she is very good at what she does. I do nothing, I am also good at what I do.
It is not good to feed fruit to Sulcata and I know that and I still give them as treats to Bob on occasion. Generally speaking Sulcata cannot process the sugar in strawberries, so it is just not a good idea to feed strawberries to Sulcata and I know that. So if you are a newbie, don't feed strawberries to your tortoises...
I like Julie and certainly have nothing against her but as usual someone had to go running to Julie to tell her I said bad things about her here on the forum. So I am sorry Julie, I was just teasing even tho I knew better...Strawberries are not in season here anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.