Redfoot vs cherry head

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmitch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reno nv
I want to get a friend for my juvenile redfoot. How are the personalitys different between red and cherry and are they ok to live together.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
It's perfectly fine for them to live together...and every tortoise has a different personality, but all the cherry heads are is a different color mutation of a normal red foot.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Generally they should get along fine, but I've heard cherryfoot males can be more territorial. It might make more sense to just get another redfoot.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
They have the same colors, lol!
How dare you ..... < grin > ....:D

Yes they can be housed together.......:)

JD~

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
N2TORTS said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

JD~

HAHA thats funny.

They are perfectly fine together. Cherryheads just differ in respects of coming from brazil and portraying the super red colored head and marbling on their shells. Your northern redfoot("normal" redfoot) will come from venezuela,suriname,guyana,columbia,central america, and some islands like grenada, tinidad tabago, corn islands, etc... SO blah blah blah from my end. Yes have at it.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
cmitch said:
N2TORTS said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

JD~

Lol ok cause I want one

Well you've come to the right place ...... I got um! :D
BB1.jpg
BB6.jpg
BB17.jpg
;)

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Cherry Heads are still a RF, technically. Just a type of them. RF's do good together. Unlike some torts, such as Russians, whom are hardly a social tort, RFs don't seem to mind company.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
'Cherry-heads' are currently considered a color morph of the Eastern or Brazilian variant of the red-footed tortoise, but there are DNA differences within the red-footeds, so they may be recognized as either species or subspecies in the near future.

One reason for this is that there IS a difference in the typical behavior- most red-footeds are very non-confrontational except during mating, but both of the variants from south of the Amazon are more territorial and confrontational.

Not to the point it causes any real problems most of the time though- especially as they also average a bit smaller than the northern variants and in general, for red-footeds of all types, the biggest is usually boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.