Redfoot/Yellowfoot hybrid

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Time will tell...
Hi Hlogic. Your conversations are interesting and educational as always. I think the question is. Do you know of any red/yellow hybrids that are proven fertile adults?
Sorry to but in. Been watching this thread. Very interesting. I have one more thing to ask. The yellowfoot is the female here, it looks to have an awfully deep concave plastron, is this the normal characteristic of female denticulata?

Thanks

Craig

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Hi Hlogic. Your conversations are interesting and educational as always. I think the question is. Do you know of any red/yellow hybrids that are proven fertile adults?
Sorry to but in. Been watching this thread. Very interesting. I have one more thing to ask. The yellowfoot is the female here, it looks to have an awfully deep concave plastron, is this the normal characteristic of female denticulata?

Thanks

Craig

Thank you, Craig. I am not aware of any F2 RF x YF offspring. The female YF's in my group are all 'just like the picture in the catalog' flat plastrons.

rande

General externally visible morphology leans towards hybrid. Whether they are 'mules' in terms of reproductive ability can only be determined after sexual maturity.
Someone told me that mules are infertile because horses and donkeys have different numbers of chromosomes, however, redfoots and yellowfoots do have same number of chromosomes. So hybrid between redfoot and yellowfoot is fertile, is this necessarily true?

rande

Thanks

Craig
Sam told me the yellowfoot is a male. :.)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
was told female.
Wow I learn something every day on here. From the photo it looks to have concave plaston, with a waste line and large tail but female. Thanks.
That cleared up my thoughts with the yellow.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Someone told me that mules are infertile because horses and donkeys have different numbers of chromosomes, however, redfoots and yellowfoots do have same number of chromosomes. So hybrid between redfoot and yellowfoot is fertile, is this necessarily true?

I don't believe as a general rule that either case is necessarily true. Chromosomes are simply visible (stainable) collections of genetic material. The genes, not the chromosomes, determine the outcome of viability of the organism. That is not to say that some incompatible chromosomal combinations do not exist. However, even chromosomal compatibility does not guarantee genetic compatibility - like male calico cats and many other examples.

rande

Wow I learn something every day on here. From the photo it looks to have concave plaston, with a waste line and large tail but female. Thanks.
That cleared up my thoughts with the yellow.
to be honest,both looks like female to me.

rande

I don't believe as a general rule that either case is necessarily true. Chromosomes are simply visible (stainable) collections of genetic material. The genes, not the chromosomes, determine the outcome of viability of the organism. That is not to say that some incompatible chromosomal combinations do not exist. However, even chromosomal compatibility does not guarantee genetic compatibility - like male calico cats and many other examples.
this is complicated:.) so how do think about the genders of the adults?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...and some horse/donkey crosses have ended up fertile.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
was told male yellowfoot and female redfoot.( ̄▽ ̄)

Large tail for a female RF but not as large as some males. A dangerous combination that way due to the much larger size of YF eggs, IMO.

rande

Large tail for a female RF but not as large as some males. A dangerous combination that way due to the much larger size of YF eggs, IMO.
so you do think the redfoot is female anf the yellowfoot is male?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
...and some horse/donkey crosses have ended up fertile.

...as have some male calico cats and some white cats with blue eyes are not deaf and probably exceptions to every 'rule' in genetics. We have 23 pairs of chromosomes but ~100K genes. That allows for a BUNCH of combinations and many of them are bound to be exceptions.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
IMO, the juvenile(s) do have the appearance of being hybrids - a decidedly RF carapace and very YF head morphology (scalation excluded). I'm not at all convinced these animals are of even a marginally increased value. This 'appeal' seems unique in the animal world. I can think of no other occasion where a mutt is valued more than a purebred - vanity notwithstanding (ligurs, labradoodles, cockacraps, etc.).
My feelings exactly.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have no problem believing I was mistaken.
Whether your wrong or right, my mind is at ease, I thought male RF and female YF also. I've seen many different exceptions to every so called way of identifying RF and YF gender. However the tail so I believe is a dead cert way of identifying gender.