RedFooted Tortoise Bullying

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Robertsdale, AL
I have 2 red footed tortoises. My red foots are okay when they are eating. One of them is a little bigger then the other one. It has been biting and ramming my other one. The other won't even fight back, it tries to get away. The bigger one will bite and ram the other one under neath the basking light. Any info would be great on what to do because I don't want to have to get rid of one of them. Thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The best thing to do, is to separate them into two enclosures. Can you do that?

If not, how big in the current enclosure? You could try two lights, as what the bigger one is doing is taking the best basking spot to increase his own chances of survival. It's a natural thing. Problem is, it may just be the light area now, but soon it will be moving into bullying the little one in other areas. How many hides do you have? Do you have visual blockers, such as plants, rocks, and such?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum... I agree with Jacgui, you only option if you want to keep them both will be to separate them if you have the space...

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
I have one hide and some plants. Could I seperate them for a month or so and then try them together again? The little one stays in the hide all day or it will bury itself under the heat lamp.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Jacqui said:
The best thing to do, is to separate them into two enclosures. Can you do that?

If not, how big in the current enclosure? You could try two lights, as what the bigger one is doing is taking the best basking spot to increase his own chances of survival. It's a natural thing. Problem is, it may just be the light area now, but soon it will be moving into bullying the little one in other areas. How many hides do you have? Do you have visual blockers, such as plants, rocks, and such?

Could I try getting another light and see how it goes. If it doesn't work then seperate them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Certainly you can start with a second light and a trail separation. How big is their enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi mel262011:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
I'm Melinda Surgi and I am from Foley, AL.

I just moved them into a 40 gallon turtle tank, but I am considering buying a plastic container that is big enough for the both of them.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
My vet thinks that the slightly bigger one might be a male. My vet is an expert on raising redfoots.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Okay, so I bought another basking light. It didn't help, the slightly bigger one is still biting the little one. I haven't seen any ramming though.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
I decided to rehome the bigger tortoise because of the dominance issue. I found a good home for it in P'cola. Taking it there tomorrow afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.