Redfoots Diet

Hello all Redfoots owners! So I have a 4 month old hatchling and have done lots of research. And I have to say there's a lot of conflicting info for Redfoots diet! Some say from where Redfoots live they get lots of fruit. So have it 50% fruit and 50%greens. Others say 50% greens, 35% fruit , 15% vegetables. What do you Redfoot owners do and how good of results have you got with it.
Thanks,

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sweet Home Chicago
You are so right about conflicting information. It's very hard to determine what is the best option on so many different things. I apply proven methods from successful long time tortoise keepers & common sense. It's been working with my two just fine. Common sense says that at the edge of a forest you'd never find grocery store vegetables - like broccoli, asparagus, corn etc. But it is likely that there can be greens (mostly in the forms of leaves) and mushrooms. There is also a good chance that there can be mangos and other fruits. So, I feed about 70% Greens (which include some mushrooms) and 30% fruit which can include papaya, mangos... The 30% 'fruit' can include some grocery store vegetables like Yellow, Red or Orange peppers, Cauliflower, beans etc. I also mix in a little dampened Mazuri Pellets and every few days some protein - typically cut up crickets and meal worms. Tuna fish is a real protein treat for them. They love Strawberries and blueberries, seedless watermelon, hibiscus & petunia flowers, leaves and stems .... I've attached a picture that I had found a long time ago about the 7 best foods for redfoots. I don't remember where i found that, so don't know who to give credit to.

redfoot diet graphic.jpg

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
The 50% fruit thing likely comes from the fact that they eat a lot of fruit in the wild that isn't the wet and mushy kind we get in grocery stores like strawberries, papaya etc. They eat a wide variety of plants and the fruits of those plants. I had the same confusion in the beginning.

I feed animal protein once a week because my tort's digestive system is prone to constipation and diarrhea and the protein balances it out. Some people feed animal protein every 2 weeks, monthly or don't feed it and just let their tort eat bugs/snails outside. I feed about 25-30% fruit and a handful of Mazuri as a supplement. Pretty much what @MysticCaribou does.

I think feeding RFs is kind of touch and go sometimes, if they haven't pooped in a while feed some cactus and fruit, if their poop is kind of mushy feed no fruit and lots of weeds/Mazuri, etc. If their poop is good then you can really feed whatever as long as it's good for them. In time you'll find out what works for your tort and you'll be more confident in your food choices, I know it all feels like nutritional algebra in your head right now :p

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As long as you mix it up and vary your diet, you'll be fine.
Mine eat about 50% fruit now that it's the summer. Less at other times. I grow it or am given it by friends.
Mushrooms rarely. But Mazuri at least once a week. The rest are flowers, Hibiscus leaves, kale, romaine and whatever else I have that is easy to source. And some cactus petals and fruit.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
Mine eat collard greens, turnip greens, Mazuri with fruit baby food mixed in, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, squash, wet grain free cat food and sometimes wax worms as a treat. They aren't really a fan of veggies.

Savanna86

West Warwick R I
How old does the rf need to be to eat the worms and stuff and what kind of mushrooms do they eat? I have a baby rf and still learning just not sure everything they can and connot eat he does love his figs!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mine like the grocery store white, button mushrooms.
I also feed freeze dried meal worms to my babies as part of the diet.
You can feed these items as soon as they will eat them.
Even early on, just mix up the diet.
Redfoot are a special species. The vacuum cleaner of the jungle floor.
Many, many things are on the menu. And they eat a huge range of foods and can eat more fruit than others as well as meat protein.
Mix it up. The choices are almost endless for these animals.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Mine eats turnip greens, organic spring mix, collard greens, kale, mushrooms, zucchini, sweet bell peppers, papaya, mango, blueberries, cooked chicken, grain free canned dog food, dandelion greens, green beans, carrots. I feed protein once a week, greens daily, and mix up the rest depending on what I have that week.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Having a mixed variety Is the best I go for cactus supermarket greens but have to watch spinach amount I also grow tortoisesupply broadleaf mix which he eats a lot of along with mazuri and a bunch of others mixed in

The fruit thing confused me to at first the best way I do it is think of it like this they have to wait for the fruit to fall and they only get what they find or scraps of other animals leave behind they get fruit a fair amount but I'd says 30-35% of the diet is fruit maybe 40% in the right season

Savanna86

West Warwick R I
So babyfood chicken is ok? And everyone has been saying cactus where would i get this and what kind? Aloe?? I have some of that growing in my house but i wasnt sure that was edible