watermelon for redfoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
60 miles south of Chicago
Is this ok?
Today is Stagger's fruit treat day (a fruit I don't normally feed him as a staple fruit in his diet), and normally I feed him whatever fruit I buy at the store for the rest of us.
Which means I am always buying Stagger-safe fruits for us to eat.
But this time my children wanted watermelon, and I thought I read here that we can give redfoots watermelon.

I should have asked this sooner as it's his feeding time.
Oh well, I'll go do dishes and then feed him.
Maybe someone will know and answer this quickly for me.:D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Virtually no nutritional value Rebecca.. mainly used to "re-hydrate" a redfoot.

Terry K

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Thanks!
Well, Terry, it's either watermelon, apples, or bananas.
That's about the extent of the fruit in the house right now!:D
My children and sick husband finished off the cantaloupe the other day.:(

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Mine go absolutely bonkers for it, but I only feed it as a treat.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
If that is all you have Rebecca, that's all you have. Maybe a bit of apple with no peel and a bit of watermellon? One time at least you know you would have a well hydrated baby, better than nothing, I guess. What would happen in the wild if he found no fruit that day?

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
If that is all you have Rebecca, that's all you have. Maybe a bit of apple with no peel and a bit of watermellon? One time at least you know you would have a well hydrated baby, better than nothing, I guess. What would happen in the wild if he found no fruit that day?

He'd be one very disappointed Stagger Lee Tortimus.(<---his new nickname) :D

I actually found some old, but no moldy, peaches in my fruit drawer that i SWEAR I threw away. But apparently, I hadn't.
He doesn't eat peaches as well as he does cantaloupe or plums.
But he ate enough for now. He'll eat the rest tonight.

Spoiled tortoise.:D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Redfoot NERD said:

Terry K

Watermelons nutritional value is this....contains 40% more Lycopene as a tomato which is good for heart disease and cancer (or so they say). Has Vitamin A, B6, Vitamin C, thiamine and potassium a mineral essential to water in the body. Sounds nutritious to me. :p

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It a very good source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C and fed with the rine a great source of fiber to ballance out all that water.

However if you have a hatchling/yearling tortoise that naturaly just doesnt get much exercise I would shy away from fruits high in sugar. Cantalope is a much better fruit with high water content.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Authors like the Vinkes and Vetters ("South American Tortoises"), Mike Pingleton ("The Redfoot Manual"), and Amanda Ebelback (I'm sure I misspelled her last name- "Redfoot and Yellowfoot Tortoises") would not find anything wrong with any of the fruits you mentioned- in appropriate moderation.

The biggest problems with all of them are the sugars and poor calcium/phosphorous ratio, but all have things to offer as well- different degrees of moisture, vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidents, etc.

And don't forget, as far as the tortoises are concerned, any 'vegetable' with seeds is a fruit too- squash is popular in my herd.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Redfootedboxturtles said:
It a very good source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C and fed with the rine a great source of fiber to ballance out all that water.

:D My redfoots tend to be too spoiled to eat their rinds. :D The hingebacks like the rinds tho.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Candy said:
Redfoot NERD said:

Terry K

Watermelons nutritional value is this....contains 40% more Lycopene as a tomato which is good for heart disease and cancer (or so they say). Has Vitamin A, B6, Vitamin C, thiamine and potassium a mineral essential to water in the body. Sounds nutritious to me. :p

Have never nor would encourage feeding tomato.. and 'most' other items to feed redfoots have a much higher % of nutrients per volume.. so we want the staple items to have a higher % ( concentration ) of nutrients per volume. Quite surprised you didn't consider that Candy.

Feeding watermelon on "occasion" is O.K.

Terry K

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Redfoot NERD said:
Candy said:
Redfoot NERD said:

Terry K

[/qu

Have never nor would encourage feeding tomato.. and 'most' other items to feed redfoots have a much higher % of nutrients per volume.. so we want the staple items to have a higher % ( concentration ) of nutrients per volume. Quite surprised you didn't consider that Candy.

Feeding watermelon on "occasion" is O.K.

Terry K

Terry, Dale gets what Dale wants. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.