Rehoming my Redfoot

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Well...I seriously appreciate the thought....I have very recently received my very own RF!!! Small, 5"scl...I haven't said anything as my laptop doesn't have anymore room for pictures....so I need to figure out what to do...then I'll be able to post some pictures
Oh. That's great.
Congratulations

Vermont
For what its worth, i would also very much be against shipping - the idea of it sounds horrendous so me (I know people do it, but to each their own). That said, if you are looking for a great home for a rescue, I think you couldn't do better- and finding good (much less great) rescue homes is hard. So, in the grand scheme of things, could be worth it in this case...
Thanks for this input!! I will definitely consider it..

Vermont
I have shipped turtles/tortoises over the years. Now there is a company called "shipyourreptiles.com". They are super professional, they send the shipper the box and equipment, and set the trip up with FedEx. Todays shipping is over night and easy. I recently received a RedFoot FedEx and the shipper used the same stuff as shipyourreptiles and arrived hungry and curious. Personally, I would not hesitate to ship today.
This is good information. I will continue to explore local options but maybe this is something I need to be more open about. Freaks me out so much cause I drove her in a car with me a couple times on a 6/7 hour drive and it seemed sooo traumatic for her (and for me!!), I just can’t imagine her taking a trip across the country with someone who doesn’t care about her like I do.
I’ll stay in touch and at least I’d know her destination would be a really good one. Just have to think about it a little more…

Vermont
For what its worth, i would also very much be against shipping - the idea of it sounds horrendous so me (I know people do it, but to each their own). That said, if you are looking for a great home for a rescue, I think you couldn't do better- and finding good (much less great) rescue homes is hard. So, in the grand scheme of things, could be worth it in this case...
Thanks for your input!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is what I thought based on what I've learned here.
I have someone interested in adopting her who seems to have a really nice set up and is knowledgeable, but already has a redfoot and they would be homed together. She told me she did a lot of research and that redfoots are social and this should not be a prob/lem, but I'm under the impression that it is not ideal.
So.. sounds like I'm correct about this one.. not the person to choose?
RF are probably one of the most social, but still not to be kept in pairs.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Well...I seriously appreciate the thought....I have very recently received my very own RF!!! Small, 5"scl...I haven't said anything as my laptop doesn't have anymore room for pictures....so I need to figure out what to do...then I'll be able to post some pictures
You could get a "thumb drive" and plug it in to your laptop and move your pictures onto it. Then you will have room on your laptop for more pictures.

Vermont
I am also looking for a Redfoot to adopt...I'm in Oregon, Tonk would live in a tort shed with a private outside enclosure.
View attachment 354995
You can ask most keepers here about me and get honest answers. I am an experienced tort keeper. This is Houdini...I adopted him out and regret it daily...View attachment 354996
the tort shed...View attachment 354997
lol...hard to eat snails...View attachment 354998
Maggie, I’m reconsidering shipping. We have a newborn in the house now which is time consuming, and I want tonks in a place where she’ll get all the care and best environment possible.
Vermont to Oregon seems so far to send her though… curious if anyone has any insight on this? Will she be safe? I have had a few others in closer places (florida, Virginia, others down south) also show interest which would be less distance to ship her but obviously you are super experienced and verified by so many! So I’d love to send her to you. What do people think of shipping an 8+ pound tortoise across the country??! Will she be okay? It really freaks me out cause even a 5 hour car drive with her she was terrified!!!
Maggie I’d love to send her to you if it’s still on the table and if people think it’s a good idea!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You could get a "thumb drive" and plug it in to your laptop and move your pictures onto it. Then you will have room on your laptop for more pictures.
You're talking to the person who knows where the on/off switch is.

Vermont
Actually...a flash drive is why I am posting right now. But this laptop is old so I'm gonna make it a point to get a new one...
Maggie, are you still potentially interested in Tonks? Or you have your Redfoot and are not looking for another one?
Thanks!!!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Maggie, I’m reconsidering shipping. We have a newborn in the house now which is time consuming, and I want tonks in a place where she’ll get all the care and best environment possible.
Vermont to Oregon seems so far to send her though… curious if anyone has any insight on this? Will she be safe? I have had a few others in closer places (florida, Virginia, others down south) also show interest which would be less distance to ship her but obviously you are super experienced and verified by so many! So I’d love to send her to you. What do people think of shipping an 8+ pound tortoise across the country??! Will she be okay? It really freaks me out cause even a 5 hour car drive with her she was terrified!!!
Maggie I’d love to send her to you if it’s still on the table and if people think it’s a good idea!
I don't have enough knowledge really to give an opinion, but I can't help feeling that for your new baby it would be wonderful for them to grow up with a little companion who could hopefully be there for them for many years ahead, and who would be very glad if you were able to provide this.
Angie

Vermont
Frankly, I don't think I am your only or best option. I'm talking to others closer to you...I cannot take any more tortoises...no room
No worries. Thanks for responding!!!
I found someone in Florida. Unfortunately he has several other redfoots so he will have seven in the same enclosure. It is an outdoor enclosure and it is quite big!!! I have to accept this. It is a much better home than what she has here in Vermont!!! He seems like a pro and the space is just awesome for torts!!
I’m still hating the idea of shipping her, but thanks for the suggestion of how to go about it. I looked into it and at least it’ll be a priority overnight so I will be able to rest easy after pretty quickly knowing she made it there haha. Any suggestions on how to make her as comfortable and safe in her shipping container? Should I make the box bigger than her size or is it better to place her in a box where she’ll just fit?
Thanks for suggestions.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I found someone in Florida. Unfortunately he has several other redfoots so he will have seven in the same enclosure. It is an outdoor enclosure and it is quite big!!! I have to accept this. It is a much better home than what she has here in Vermont!!! He seems like a pro and the space is just awesome for torts!!
I’m still hating the idea of shipping her, but thanks for the suggestion of how to go about it. I looked into it and at least it’ll be a priority overnight so I will be able to rest easy after pretty quickly knowing she made it there haha. Any suggestions on how to make her as comfortable and safe in her shipping container? Should I make the box bigger than her size or is it better to place her in a box where she’ll just fit?
Thanks for suggestions.
@ZEROPILOT

pairs are bad, groups are not necessarily so if the space is large enough

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thanks for suggestions.
redfoots can do well in groups, I would ask them to specify the sex ratio. If they have a pack of all males I'd pass....but a good ratio is like, 3 female 1 male. And space helps a lot for "packs" of tortoises. It helps so that if they are stressed they can get away from a male, for example. Whereas in a small enclosure they would be stressed 24/7.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Where in Florida?
Is he a member here on the TFO or did he troll your ad?
7 would require an enclosure of several hundred aquare feet.
I just made another post about why my group eventually failed

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thanks for suggestions.
If you use shipyourreptiles.com they send you everything, the exact size box and they make all the arrangements, all you will do is put her in the box and off to FedEx. easy peasy

Vermont
redfoots can do well in groups, I would ask them to specify the sex ratio. If they have a pack of all males I'd pass....but a good ratio is like, 3 female 1 male. And space helps a lot for "packs" of tortoises. It helps so that if they are stressed they can get away from a male, for example. Whereas in a small enclosure they would be stressed 24/7.
Thank you! It is a very large space; several hundred square feet. 4 females to 2 males and adding tonks would make it 5 females, so sounds like a good ratio! Definitely better than what she has now. I want to get her there asap! Thank you for this input it is helpful in solidifying the plan.