Rehoming three Healthy Sulcata Tortoises from Vancouver British Columbia Canada to California .

Bosco

Location (City and/or State)
Surrey
Hello Tortoise Folk. I have three amazing Sulcata Tortoises . They are four years old and siblings . Two appear to be male and one is smaller and has not presented signs of sex . yet. I would like to build a WILL and Testament which includes safe rehoming to a warm climate and safe ...experienced new owner. I would like to know what legal steps are necessary... I will build any fees for vet and shipping into Will . Sulcata are legal in BC and California but cannot find info re: import export . I am NOT selling animals ...but rehoming to appropriate safe homes. any imfo is welcome

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you wanting to re-home them now?
Or when you die, which is when a Will is needed?
Unless you have family or friend in CA to Will them too, I don't see how any stranger would want to be part of this deal.
As for rehoming them across the board, you will have to contact the correct authorities/customs on both sides.

Bosco

Surrey
Unless you have family or friend in CA to Will them too, I don't see how any stranger would want to be part of this deal.
As for rehoming them across the board, you will have to contact the correct authorities/customs on both sides.
Thank You for the reply. I mostly want to get any info regarding the process of cross border adoption started. at this time... it is almost impossible to get detailed info from customs... or exotic pet authorities..via internet. My Will is one aspect...but even greater ...is the making of a safety plan for these creatures NOW...in the event of a shift in health or circumstances ..as I am their only care giver. There is a reptile rescue centre...which struggles as it is...for funding . It is closed to the public...as there was a recent fire...put..it still cares for animals. by donation. They are growing fast.. and my ability o transport them to one location to the other ...to keep them warm during winter climate is very challenging. If I found a safe home.. I would rehome them now. If something happens to me... I am very aware that the outcome would be critical.. for them as there is no clear path or expertise existing in any animal rescue or protection services here. they simply do not have the resources to manage these things as they are so rare. My hope is to find the clearest path to information without the usual red tape of bureaucratic mumbo jumbo. I believe that they will be happier in a warm dessert environ. as they are Native to South Saharan. Africa... I turn 67 next week. need to get a plan and path rolling . If anyone out there...has transported a Sulcatta from British Columbia to California... I would love to hear from you . Thank You Everyone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank You for the reply. I mostly want to get any info regarding the process of cross border adoption started. at this time... it is almost impossible to get detailed info from customs... or exotic pet authorities..via internet. My Will is one aspect...but even greater ...is the making of a safety plan for these creatures NOW...in the event of a shift in health or circumstances ..as I am their only care giver. There is a reptile rescue centre...which struggles as it is...for funding . It is closed to the public...as there was a recent fire...put..it still cares for animals. by donation. They are growing fast.. and my ability o transport them to one location to the other ...to keep them warm during winter climate is very challenging. If I found a safe home.. I would rehome them now. If something happens to me... I am very aware that the outcome would be critical.. for them as there is no clear path or expertise existing in any animal rescue or protection services here. they simply do not have the resources to manage these things as they are so rare. My hope is to find the clearest path to information without the usual red tape of bureaucratic mumbo jumbo. I believe that they will be happier in a warm dessert environ. as they are Native to South Saharan. Africa... I turn 67 next week. need to get a plan and path rolling . If anyone out there...has transported a Sulcatta from British Columbia to California... I would love to hear from you . Thank You Everyone.
Moving animals internationally is very difficult and expensive. You need to find and hire an animal broker that does this for a living. We use these people to move our film animals all over the world. Sadly, you really can't do it yourself, but brokers who do this for a living know who to contact and what to say to make it happen. They have relationships with the people behind the desk that will tell you "no", and often they have relationships with the bosses of the people sitting at the desks.

Bosco

Surrey
my intentions are to in advance ...in case of my life circumstances changing...set up a strategy and quick response safety net with options . I am 67. I will be contacting local rescue agency and setting up trust fund for the immediate custodianship of these animals. It has been my experience that attempting to gain support from Animal services ...can potentially lead to a negative outcome...as they have little to no expertise in these species and are very wired to launch almost threatening interventions ... My Will has been modified and updated to designate an executorship via notary/lawyer service . both my homes will be sold and most monies will be channeled to rescue society. I will be speaking with them directly this week. to see if they have a way to become immediate stewards to my pets in the event of problems. It would be THEY eventually..who may be able to arrange sending to California (which currently has more suitable climate for them. If you have experience with Sulcatta...you will know they are large.. and have specific habitat and environmental needs and dietary regimens . I recued these tortoises from a breeder who was inundated and have modified two separate properties to make them comfortable. They require metal..reinforced grounds deeply constructed ... lots of sun and warmth that can be almost impossible to provide inside a regular home. Customs again...has pre-set conditions and even trying so far to gain imfo...without unleashing an invasive investigatioin seems to loom. It is my hope to find anyone who has been in similar circumstances or to have actually directly and successfully engaged in safe rehoming to California..to help cut through some of the red tape...beurocratic mumbo jumbo... I really think... there are many out there who may be in a similar situation. The turtle and tortoise species often live for well over a century .I want to weigh my options in planning their safe future

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
sell them in Canada, the $ proceeds should be able to buy 50 sulcatas in CA 😉 😉

Bailey89

Cape Breton
Hello Tortoise Folk. I have three amazing Sulcata Tortoises . They are four years old and siblings . Two appear to be male and one is smaller and has not presented signs of sex . yet. I would like to build a WILL and Testament which includes safe rehoming to a warm climate and safe ...experienced new owner. I would like to know what legal steps are necessary... I will build any fees for vet and shipping into Will . Sulcata are legal in BC and California but cannot find info re: import export . I am NOT selling animals ...but rehoming to appropriate safe homes. any imfo is welcome
Not in a warmer climate, but would love to be considered for this life long commitment. 34 years old with acreage and a warm heated indoor retreat (chickens etc) for canadian winters.