Release? Keep? What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickyspark

5 Year Member
My wife found a box turtle in our yard, it is the same one from a year ago. Last year when we saw it, it has lost all of its coloring from what looked like a dog or coyote attack and various other narrow escapes.

It's shell is really rough, it feels almost like really rough concrete. The bottom of its shell, under the stomach has deep gouges from where what looks like a dog's tooth left long deep wounds that form a sort of "X".

I remember this turtle, I know it may sound like a load of B.S, but I swear it is the same one from that mark and other wounds on it.

Only now it only has 3 feet, sometime in the last year it lost one of it's front feet about where the ankle would be, its shell also looks a lot worse. It is not uncommon to see box turtles where I live, but out of all the 30 years I have lived here I have never seen one so injured.

I feel compelled to build it an enclosure and protect it from further harm, I don't feel it has a chance with its 3 feet and badly damaged shell. I have plenty of land and have kept some turtles (all aquatic) for years without issue. I realize there is a big difference.

My reason for posting is, I am unsure if I should keep it. From the condition I doubt it will survive many more nights with the coyote packs that roam about,neighborhood dogs, and the lack of hiding places ( almost all of the forest has been clearcut).

Should I keep it? Should I release it and hope for the best? From front to back its shell is roughly 7 inches in length. Right now I just have it kind of hemmed into a half sunny/half shadey little grassy area on the side of my house. I feel like releasing it is a death sentence.

Attachments

• poorthing.JPG
    poorthing.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 59
M

Maggie Cummings

It might be illegal where you live to take it from the "wild". So that being said, I think you should set it up nice and keep it. That way it never has to hunt for a meal or hide from raccoons or dash under a bush when kids walk by. I may be telling you to do something that is against the law. But you didn't say where you live. Box turtles are fun to have. They are active and personable and I am sure you would enjoy it. So do what you want, but I say keep it.

Keep in mind that they are territorial and that may be why you have seen it twice. It may not like being kept captive for a while and it may try to escape. You would need a house to sleep in and water and protection at night from raccoons, so you can't just create a walled area, you need to set it up right.

RandomWiktor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
You may be able to find a wildlife center or individual licensed to keep the lil fellow if it is illegal in your state and you fear taking the risk. If you want to PM me your location, I could possibly help you locate one; I'm a wildlife rehabber and member of the NWRA so I have a lot of contacts who may be able to help.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
poor lil dude! i'd consider moving it indoors if you can create the right habitat. also, i think my gut reaction would be to take it to a vet for a check up.

i'll keep my fingers crossed (i have a soft spot for boxies!) :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would either take it to a wildlife rescue center, or keep it OUTDOORS. I do not advocate taking an animal from the wild and keeping it inside if at all possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I vote for keeping it out of the wild because of its condition. If its ok in your state to take them out of the wild, then I would do so, otherwise, see if you can give it to a licensed rehabber. Maybe they have adoptions and they will let you keep it because it is so injured.

And WELCOME to the forum!!!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! So glad you dropped by to ask this question.

As sad as that is, I feel that you should leave it in the wild and let nature take its course.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome to the forum. Tough call. What matters to me is that you care so much. I support you either way. And just for the record, I don't believe laws should ever stop someone from doing the right thing when it comes to animals, wild or captive.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
So sad ... I think you should keep it and let it live out it's life happy and healthy. I agree with Tom on this - laws shouldn't stop someone from doing what is right. Thank you for helping this little one!

trickyspark

5 Year Member
I have a dog pen outside that is pretty stout, the floor of the pen is dirt and size wise it is about 10' x 15'. The dog house is still there and is pretty solid. The pen is partially sheltered by a tree that shades about half of the pen, the other half gets full sun for most of the day. I know that isn't perfect, but it's the best I have at the moment.

I buried a small baking dish that is about 2 inches deep flush with the ground. I filled it half full of water. I had this outside for the turtle the last 2 days and kept finding him/her sitting in it.

I'm currently trying to call 2 rehabilitation/rescue places, but have not gotten an answer. Today is a holiday though, so maybe tomorrow. I would rather a professional care for it than me, but I will gladly do all I can until I find it a safe place.

Here's a pic of one I found in the 4 lane highway in town, it was sitting in the middle of a lane with only its head sticking out. I turned around and picked it up, I dropped it off in the middle of my uncle's cow pasture.

The way the street was, once it crossed that big one it had several more to go across, side streets and all that. It looks pretty healthy.
I also put a pic of my red bellied cooter "Bitey", I've had it since October. he was originally about the size of a half dollar coin. He lives peacfully with my Cichlid and my Plecostomus (algae eater). Occasionally I find him sitting on the Pleco's back, or the Pleco sucking on his shell, cleaning it for him.

Attachments

• healthylooking.JPG
    healthylooking.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 28
  • bitey.JPG
    bitey.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 23
M

Maggie Cummings

Tom said:
Welcome to the forum. Tough call. What matters to me is that you care so much. I support you either way. And just for the record, I don't believe laws should ever stop someone from doing the right thing when it comes to animals, wild or captive.

I agree with you about the law also, but I feel it's important to tell people the situation in case THEY care about the law...:p

Box turtles are territorial so you should only really move them out of the street to the side they were headed towards. Your Grampa's pasture might not be in that turtles territory so then he's gonna spend time trying to get home and not eating or drinking. So it isn't a good thing for them to remove them too far from their home area. In that area they know where all the hides are and where the food is and where the bugs are where the water is...so don't take them anywhere but a few feet away from the street they were crossing...I know you think you are doing a good thing to take them to his pasture, but you might not...

Status
Not open for further replies.