Not open for further replies.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
yagyujubei said:
Why remove the yolk? Mine eat it all.
gieseygirly said:
Woohoo, got her to eat half a crushed up hard boiled egg (with the yolk taken out) :)

Really? Mine won't touch the yolk. They actually pick it out and won't go near the whites if there is yolk stuck to it. And I got them all from different sources. Even my adults won't touch them. Guess I have some strange boxies?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I'll have to watch more closely next time to be sure.
Saleama said:
yagyujubei said:
gieseygirly said:
Woohoo, got her to eat half a crushed up hard boiled egg (with the yolk taken out) :)

Really? Mine won't touch the yolk. They actually pick it out and won't go near the whites if there is yolk stuck to it. And I got them all from different sources. Even my adults won't touch them. Guess I have some strange boxies?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
yagyujubei said:
I'll have to watch more closely next time to be sure.
Saleama said:
yagyujubei said:
gieseygirly said:

It seemed strange to me at first but I "hid" and watched and sure enough.

Back on topic, keep working on that little girl and you will be amazed with the results. I had a super shy guy that turned into a heck of a little character in about two weeks (he was in quaranteen) and then when we released him into his wild garden habitat he went feral within a month! It is so awesome to see this old man turtle run around the garden and stalk prey and help the other turtles get to the hard to reach veggies. I do miss him running across his pen and trying to eat my fingers or eat a super worm off my hand!

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I thought "no yolk" cause I thought yolk is high in fat. Anyhow, yes, I left the shell on the half she ate. Her favorite is still minnows though. I actually got her to eat a minnow from my hand yesterday, instead of fleeing for her life from my hand....LOL

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I was reading this thread, and got to the parts about crickets and eggs being fed, I feed my youngsters small crickets that I raise, but when they are big enough to be moved outside they are on their own on catching crickets. My adults eat the whole egg, I just went out and took this pic of one eating the yolk to show that some will eat it. actually until this thread I had never heard of box turtles not eating egg yolk, Learn something new everyday.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I scramble the egg (with water instead of milk) for mine, so it all gets eaten anyway. I've never fed crickets. I mostly feed nightcrawlers, with the occasional pill bugs and mealworm pupae.

rvtjess

5 Year Member
St. Louis, MO
Regarding crickets... I know with my sugar gliders that it's important not to feed crickets that have been raised on corn-bedding due to the risk of aflatoxins that are toxic to suggies... is this not a concern with these guys?

((sorry for going OT, but was just a question I've been wondering!!))

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
rvtjess said:
Regarding crickets... I know with my sugar gliders that it's important not to feed crickets that have been raised on corn-bedding due to the risk of aflatoxins that are toxic to suggies... is this not a concern with these guys?

Good question - anybody know? Does anybody know if pet stores, such as PetSmart, raise their crickets on corn bedding?

So as if eating the minnow from my hand wasn't proof enough of how this whole situation could turn around very quickly, I couldn't believe it BUT.......
After picking Creature up out of the sink from her soak, while holding her in my hand, she ate a raspberry from my hand. It was amazing. I can't believe she ate from my hand, while being held in my other hand. I think she's learning that I'm the "food goddess" ;)

rvtjess

5 Year Member
St. Louis, MO
gieseygirly said:
rvtjess said:

Good question - anybody know? Does anybody know if pet stores, such as PetSmart, raise their crickets on corn bedding?

I am pretty sure the ones from petsmart/petco/etc ARE raised on corn bedding (as it is always advised not to buy them from pet stores for suggies).

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Do not release her, my female after a year has finally stopped doing that open mouth bending her head back thing & she was captive bred it takes time to build trust with them

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Pameladale said:
Do not release her, my female after a year has finally stopped doing that open mouth bending her head back thing & she was captive bred it takes time to build trust with them

Nope, I still have her. She's still a crazy little thing, but she eats out of my hand now with no problem. However, every single time I pick her up to take her for a soak she pees ALL OVER me :( Thank goodness for this forum because I really thought I could release her and she'd be fine, since Eastern box turtles are naturally in the wild in Ohio. Being on here made me realize that is not the best option for her.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
gieseygirly said:
Pameladale said:

Nope, I still have her. She's still a crazy little thing, but she eats out of my hand now with no problem. However, every single time I pick her up to take her for a soak she pees ALL OVER me :( Thank goodness for this forum because I really thought I could release her and she'd be fine, since Eastern box turtles are naturally in the wild in Ohio. Being on here made me realize that is not the best option for her.

I live in Ohio too :). I'm glad she is warming up to you. She will get better with time.
I have 3 easterns. I think that they willhibernate outside again this year. You just have to have a nice outside encloseure. Maybe next year she will be ready for that :). Good luck!

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thanks, turtlelou! I love to hear from people in the same state as me. Truly seems like there are very few of us turtle/tortoise owners in Ohio ;)

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Should I release her?

Oh good. Haha sounds like my female. Yeah everyone on here is great they helped me a lot when I first got my 3 toed box turtle. That would be so amazing to have wild box turtles in your area im in canada & its just way too cold here for them to live outside.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Pameladale said:
Oh good. Haha sounds like my female. Yeah everyone on here is great they helped me a lot when I first got my 3 toed box turtle. That would be so amazing to have wild box turtles in your area im in canada & its just way too cold here for them to live outside.

We get pretty nasty winters in Ohio, but the box turtles in the wild here just hibernate for the winter to survive.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
she pees ALL OVER me

Do you approach her from her front view? Do you move at a turtles pace and not us clumsy super sonic humans :)P)....also, if you place a container or plate next to her and then slowly and gently move her from where she is to the flat object and move then the entire jig slowly perhaps this will help her to not be so startled/scared on the move....

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
ascott said:
she pees ALL OVER me

Do you approach her from her front view? Do you move at a turtles pace and not us clumsy super sonic humans :)P)....also, if you place a container or plate next to her and then slowly and gently move her from where she is to the flat object and move then the entire jig slowly perhaps this will help her to not be so startled/scared on the move....

I really don't get a chance to approach her slowly - she takes off at the sight of my hand unless I have a creepy crawly in it, like a worm or fish. So I just grab her, then cup her with my other hand and hold her up a little to make eye contact and talk to her. I do that for about 60 sec's before I begin the walk through the house to get to the kitchen sink. As soon as I get to the sink, sometimes sooner, she pees. I figure it's something she'll grow out of. I can't put her on something flat because she will run right off of it. She's not afraid of heights; all that's on her mind is getting away....
She's just gonna be the one that takes time and working with to really be comfortable with humans.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
lol.... I have a turtle and a tortoise Tupperware for this very reason. When I give bath tub baths, they go into the tupper ware then get transported to the tub. When they get pen bathes under the heat lamp, they go right into the Tupperware filled with warm water. If they do not do their business in the Tupperware, I just pour the water right into their habitat to maintain moisture levels.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Saleama said:
lol.... I have a turtle and a tortoise Tupperware for this very reason. When I give bath tub baths, they go into the tupper ware then get transported to the tub. When they get pen bathes under the heat lamp, they go right into the Tupperware filled with warm water. If they do not do their business in the Tupperware, I just pour the water right into their habitat to maintain moisture levels.

Hey, I do kinda the same thing, only with the water I keep in their enclosures. If the water in the enclosure only has substrate in it, then I just dump it into the enclosure for humidity. It works great! Especially since the Crane Elephant humidifier I have broke after only 1 month of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.