Reluctant To Eat

tiffanyandmars

5 Year Member
Hey my pet tortoise, Mars (which I recently just adopted from RSPCA) is refusing to eat everything. :( please advise on what i should do.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
You can try warm soaks daily. But for any further help you will need to inform us on the care of your tortoise; the four temps, humidity, enclosure size, lightning and the species of tortoise.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Please tell us what kind of tortoise you have (we love to see pictures if you have one!). How recently did you get him? Tortoises hate change and need time to adjust to new homes. You may be seeing this manifest in his not wanting to eat.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. I agree that tortoises typically take a while to settle in to their new home. This seems to be true even when all the environment conditions are being met. These conditions will vary by species, but in general they include getting the temperature(s) correct, providing a hiding spot to promote a feeling of security, having a dark (really dark) night time period, a good light for basking that doesn't hurt their eyes (I believe CFL bulbs do this), and a source for water. Then give them time and allow them to be a tortoise (less handling than your typical pets). It make take a few days or even more than a week, but eventually a healthy tortoise will come out to eat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tiffanyandmars said:
Hey my pet tortoise, Mars (which I recently just adopted from RSPCA) is refusing to eat everything. :( please advise on what i should do.

You should tell us what species he is, what his temperatures are and how you are housing him.

tiffanyandmars

5 Year Member
I don't exactly know the species and here is what he/she looks like. I've been keeping him/her in a large washing bucket. Wide and shallow..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you first come to this site, you are greeted by the portal page. On this page are some links to helpful threads. Please read the one entitled "Basics for prospective or beginner tortoise owners".

After that, and setting up your tortoise with a proper enclosure and heat gradient, then come back with specific questions for us.

If you can get your pics to show up we can refer you to a care sheet for that species.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks like a Chinese box turtle . I have no idea about care but you can look up one . There are some keepers here that can help you with him .

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
That turtle requires mostly aquatic care. If its kept high and dry it may refuse food all together. What is your set up like?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't have a Chinese boxie, but all boxies like to get into water from time to time. So, the enclosure has to be inside now because he has not been prepared for hibernation this winter (at least it doesn't look like he has). I'll would get a large 54 gal rubber container (maybe two and combine it to make one super big container) and fill it with organic soil (nothing with fertilizers). Get a plastic container large enough for him to get into and feel safe (hide). You'll have to cut out one side. Provide access to a pool of water where he can get in and out of. You can bury it on one end of the enclosure. Get a water dish with edges small enough to get into for a drink if water. Many use plant saucers. As far as diet goes, they eat worms, crickets, some fruits, and even dog food. I would search here to see what diet is best for him. Remember to give him calcium supplements 2-3 times a week. I'll send a personal message to Terry since she has a ton of boxies. She'll be able to help even more:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have a turtle. PM some of our members that post in the "Turtles" forum and ask for ID help and care info.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Unfortunately I've never had a Chinese Box Turtle. A friend gave me this site. http://www.tortoise.org/archives/cflavo.html

Captive care: New captives tend to be highly stressed and shy. Once acclimated, however, this species is hardy, active and easily tamed. This Asian box turtle is somewhat terrestrial, but should have a shallow water area for drinking, wading and soaking. Juveniles are more aquatic and will frequently swim. Because this animal ranges further north than C.amboinensis and into alpine areas (not strictly tropical,) the warmth from a basking light may be sufficient. Spagnum moss can be used in the vivarium with good effect as it will retain moisture and help keep the humidity up, if misted daily. Diet is omnivorous. They will eat some fruits and veggies, but are known to eat snails, worms, and bugs in the wild. "Turtle pellets" and small amounts of cat food may be fed. Provide a good source of calcium, such as cuttlebone, crushed oystershell, or boiled, crushed eggshell. May be maintained in outdoor enclosures in temperate regions. Successful breeders keep the breeding pair outdoors for several months. Many owners regularly allow hibernation in the winter, in regions where severe cold is unlikely.

http://www.turtlepuddle.org/cuora/vickie.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tiffany:

I have a group of Chinese box turtles turned in to my rescue a few years ago. I set them up in a tilted tub. I put something under the tub about in the middle so it was on a slant. Then I had the bottom half filled with water. I put a few heavy rocks at the top of the water line, then I had cypress mulch on the bottom of the uphill side.

This is a species of turtle that really like the water. If you try to keep it in a dry habitat with only a water dish, you will have an unhappy turtle that will probably not eat.

They also eat animal protein, so you can offer bugs and worms. I'd bet that if you offer the turtle something that wiggles it will eat it.

Be sure to keep the turtle warm. They don't do well in cold weather.