Removal (algae)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Scrub and empty. Then wipe sides down like every other day. It will keep it from building up. Also plants will help too. Do you have a filter on it? That would also help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Algae isn't harmful. Just dip out the water and flush new water through the space, sweep with the broom and flush again. It's quite ok for rocks and plants to have algae on them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Scrub and empty. Then wipe sides down like every other day. It will keep it from building up. Also plants will help too. Do you have a filter on it? That would also help

I think he's got cement as a ramp. Can't be tipped out.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If you can't tip it out, overflow it with fresh water to replace the algae-ful water with fresh water. Adding shade overtop is one way to limit algae growth. Adding plants to compete with the algae for resources is another option. If this isn't a waterer you can easily dump and refill, I'd want a filter on it too.

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
If copper is tortoise safe my family puts copper pipe sections about 6 inches long in water buckets outside and it keeps them clear for a while. We learned that from my grandpa. I dont know where he learned it from tho.