Repot hibiscus

Sunny_Sunday

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hi I just recently got a yellow hibiscus and I’m wondering what type of soil to use for it? I’m using an organic fertilizer just for hibiscus but I’m confused what type of soil should I use? Pictures, links or brands are appreciated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi I just recently got a yellow hibiscus and I’m wondering what type of soil to use for it? I’m using an organic fertilizer just for hibiscus but I’m confused what type of soil should I use? Pictures, links or brands are appreciated.
I use just any potting soil here in Florida.
They also grow in very sandy soil.
They seem super easy and not very needy..
I think the issue would be finding a colder variety that can survive Minnesota. And there are likely a few tricks that I'm not aware of that another northern member is aware of.
Best of luck.
Hibiscus is a great tortoise food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The soil doesn't matter since your tortoise won't have access to the soil.

What you need to be careful of is the systemic toxins that all decorative type plants are grown with. They last a year, and since the plants assimilates the poison into its tissues, you can't wash it off.

TisMary

New York
Hi @Sunny_Sunday. I use Fox Farms potting soils. I usually get Happy Frog, but bought Ocean Forest the last time. I grow my hibiscus in a self-watering container indoors under grow lights; will be setting outside soon for the summer. As long as their conditions are "right" (by hibiscus standards, that is!), these plants won't go dormant. I get flowers all year long.

I use True Organic Liquid Plant Food regularly and (occasionally) Fox Farm CalMag if the leaves start turning yellow (just means the plant is taking calcium and magnesium out of the leaves because the rest of the plant needs it somewhere - "think like a plant!") This plant also really likes Fox Farms Big Bloom - wonderful flowers! All of the products I use are listed with Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) - make sure anything you use also does (not all Fox Farms products do, for example some items in their "Trio Pack")

I did wait 12 months before feeding him the blossoms (BTW, he also enjoys the leaves). Unless you know that your specific hibiscus has been raised without pesticides or other nasty chemicals, I have to recommend you do the same. It's difficult, but you want to keep your little one's innards happy and healthy. The good news is, she/he will probably love hibiscus! Good luck!

Attachments

• DSCN4839.JPG
    DSCN4839.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN4840.JPG
    DSCN4840.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 1