RES Shell Corroded?

ginger07

Location (City and/or State)
Labuan
Dear all,
2 of my res are having this kind of condition. May I know why is this happening? and how to cure it?

34824059_10157605147559552_5402553531011956736_n.jpg 35049479_10157605147474552_1670957670753894400_n.jpg

35049479_10157605147474552_1670957670753894400_n.jpg 34824059_10157605147559552_5402553531011956736_n.jpg

ginger07

Labuan
I think they're getting ready to shed. It's normal.
What do you mean "shed"? It actually begins with algae growing at that places, I put some medication it becomes like this. It is dry and not returning to the original layer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The turtle's shell has a very thin layer of keratin over the top of it. Occasionally this thin layer comes off as the turtle grows. It's like peeling off a layer of nail polish from your fingernail.

In this picture you can see how the keratin is peeling up getting ready to come off. That is called shedding:

turtlesheddingscutes.jpg

ginger07

Labuan
The turtle's shell has a very thin layer of keratin over the top of it. Occasionally this thin layer comes off as the turtle grows. It's like peeling off a layer of nail polish from your fingernail.

In this picture you can see how the keratin is peeling up getting ready to come off. That is called shedding:

turtlesheddingscutes.jpg

I see. How long would it take for the keratin to grow back? It seems like algae is taking opportunity to grow at the affected place too. Does it relate to lack of calcium?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It does look like they have retained scutes, though. They are not shedding normally as the layers that "need" to shed are built up quite a bit and appear to have not shed as they normally would have. This happens in captivity particularly if the diet is not correct, and/or proper basking is not possible.

What is the diet and setup you are keeping these turtles in

ginger07

Labuan
It does look like they have retained scutes, though. They are not shedding normally as the layers that "need" to shed are built up quite a bit and appear to have not shed as they normally would have. This happens in captivity particularly if the diet is not correct, and/or proper basking is not possible.

What is the diet and setup you are keeping these turtles in

I am giving them Nutrafin floating turtle pellets. They have a pond which is under a shade. It can get sunlight during 2-4pm. But my tortoises usually dont bask, I wonder why. They love to stay in the water instead.

479827042510781.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess I didn't look carefully at your post and then at the pictures. Your signature says you have two Malayan box turtles, but the pictures to me look like water turtles???? @Markw84 ??

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I am giving them Nutrafin floating turtle pellets. They have a pond which is under a shade. It can get sunlight during 2-4pm. But my tortoises usually dont bask, I wonder why. They love to stay in the water instead.

View attachment 241498
RES are active baskers. If they do not bask, they may feel unsecure or exposed, or are not getting enough sunlight. Morning sun is best exposure for a pond and basking. Also try adding some koi pellets to the diet. I use that mixed with Mazuri aquatic turtle diet as the staple. The koi pellets contain more wheat germ and is good for facilitating shedding.

Here is a picture of one of my large cooters who is in the middle of shedding to see what the "normal" scutes would look like as they are ready to shed. See how translucent they appear where they are not yet shed? Your turtles have way too many layers built up that they have not shed.

shedding cooter.jpg

ginger07

Labuan
I guess I didn't look carefully at your post and then at the pictures. Your signature says you have two Malayan box turtles, but the pictures to me look like water turtles???? @Markw84 ??

Sorry its been a while i was idle from this forum. I never change my signature since then. I have 3 malayan box turtles and 2 res.

This family photo was 2 years back.

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-10 at 11.21.42 PM.jpeg

I just found the photo with algae

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-10 at 11.19.52 PM.jpeg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its hard to tell from the picture. Aberrant scute patterns and retained scutes that hide any markings. Looked like red ears to me and her post does say "2 of my RES".

ginger07

Labuan
RES are active baskers. If they do not bask, they may feel unsecure or exposed, or are not getting enough sunlight. Morning sun is best exposure for a pond and basking. Also try adding some koi pellets to the diet. I use that mixed with Mazuri aquatic turtle diet as the staple. The koi pellets contain more wheat germ and is good for facilitating shedding.

Here is a picture of one of my large cooters who is in the middle of shedding to see what the "normal" scutes would look like as they are ready to shed. See how translucent they appear where they are not yet shed? Your turtles have way too many layers built up that they have not shed.

View attachment 241507

I see. My res dont bask a lot that worries me. How to make them feel secure?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Something going on if they aren't basking, my sliders spend as much time daily basking then they do in the water. Is it warm where your located?