Rescue Sulcata

Ambersaggiemom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I just got a rescued sulcata. I'm not sure of his age, nor his weight (probably close to 60 pounds). He seems to be adjusting fairly well. The first few nights, he only wanted to sleep under the shade tarp we have in his enclosure. Last night was the first night he slept in his igloo...hope that continues! He eats pretty well, and I've seen his poop/pee for a couple of days now. My main concern is the turned up part of his shell, and the sharper points under his head. He has a slight intention on/around one of his scutes. I'm attaching a picture, but the intention is not visible. I will try to get a picture of it later. The curving and sharp points are visible in the picture(the picture is not sideways on my gallery, but it appears to be on the attachment!). If you have any suggestions, please advise! As a sude note, he seemed dehydrated when I got him. He has water available in his enclosure (not sure if he's used it yet...doubt it). I do, however, water him down every afternoon when he comes out from the hot temps here in Texas. He loves the water, and keeps his head out the whole time! Thanks!

1503619825760.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You've got a very handsome tortoise there. Congrats!

I can't see any problems with the shell on this small wide shot, but over all it looks great.

Looks like you've gotten good diet advice. I see some grass hay there.

The dogloo isn't going to work well for winter. You need and insulated night box with the right sort of heating in it. Many people make mistakes with this and learn the hard way after damage is done. Check these out for examples:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

Ambersaggiemom

5 Year Member
Texas
The igloo is for now...we are planning on building a bigger night box for him before the cold sets in (probably not before late October here in Texas!!) We are doing our research on what types of heating to use for him, and he will be able to come and go as he chooses in the winter, as we often have 70 degree days throughout our winter months! I feed minimal greens from the store...enough to get his calcium, and Timothy grass and an alfalfa/orchard mix. Not knowing where he came from (he was found crossing a highway), or what he was fed, he seems to be doing well! I tend to over research any pet I have under my care...although I don't think you can ever research enough! Thank you for your comment!