Rescued 3 year old sulcata

SoWrecked

Location (City and/or State)
ozark
Just rescued this sulcata because people were moving and planned on releasing it, apparently its 3 year old and they’ve had it since it was a baby. Can anyone tell me their thoughts on its size and shell etc if it seems healthy. I would say its around 7-8 inches and weighs like 3-4pounds max

Attachments

• 0EF49AA3-CC90-425A-A183-61A5AAF94347.jpeg
    0EF49AA3-CC90-425A-A183-61A5AAF94347.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 69
  • 6B34CACA-A3D7-41DF-AE59-69F32C1F7202.jpeg
    6B34CACA-A3D7-41DF-AE59-69F32C1F7202.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 70
  • 35F06A3F-BF66-468C-8326-F43E68F301A6.jpeg
    35F06A3F-BF66-468C-8326-F43E68F301A6.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 69
  • 938CD465-BED7-4074-8C88-BAFA69EFEC43.jpeg
    938CD465-BED7-4074-8C88-BAFA69EFEC43.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 69

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It looks fine. Probably needs a soak. Definitely needs a larger enclosure. Thank you for taking this one in and not allowing it to be released. It would surely have died out there.

Here is the care info for this species. Most of what you find on the internet and books is wrong. Feel free to come back with all your questions.

SoWrecked

ozark
Yes I currently have it in my setup that ill be attempting on making better fit for it. @Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 21

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thanks for rescuing him! Is this your first tortoise? Tom has excellent info and advice :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I currently have it in my setup that ill be attempting on making better fit for it. @Tom
I can see you've been to the pet store and gotten some of the wrong stuff. What is in all those hoods?

Housing him in an open topped table under the hot basking lamps is going to make the pyramiding worse, and that enclosure is much too small.

This guy is right on the edge of being ready to live outside full time with a heated night box. It might be better to go that direction in this case, rather than build a big elaborate indoor set up that will only last a few more months anyway...

Here are some threads showing how to make a night box. You'd only need to go half this size, 4x4', for a single sulcata.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Welcome...he looks like he is already pyramiding...he needs a humid hide and some direct action...read Tom's links and follow them as closely as you can...and change his set up really quickly...3 or 4 lbs is alright for his age...

SoWrecked

ozark
i have a small plate for the food to go on that can help trim nails, a wood log for them to crawl under and in the corner is a small plate for water that cant be seen, the substrate is reptibark mixed with a little orchid moss and inside the hut is all orchid moss. Also i wasnt planning on getting a sulcata i had planned on buying a russian or hermanns tortoise and still do, its just once i heard they planned on letting it go i told them id take it instead, incase I dont think im the right fit for his tortoise are any of you or is there anyone on here you may know who might want him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i have a small plate for the food to go on that can help trim nails, a wood log for them to crawl under and in the corner is a small plate for water that cant be seen, the substrate is reptibark mixed with a little orchid moss and inside the hut is all orchid moss. Also i wasnt planning on getting a sulcata i had planned on buying a russian or hermanns tortoise and still do, its just once i heard they planned on letting it go i told them id take it instead, incase I dont think im the right fit for his tortoise are any of you or is there anyone on here you may know who might want him?
I wouldn't use moss with tortoises. They all want to eat it and it can cause impaction.

If you do an adoption thread, I'm sure someone will want the tortoise.