RESCUED PAINTED TURTLE :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
Look who I just found on the road
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377297324.528879.jpg

He feels really light but what does this mean? He's wild, about 4 in long shell, midland painted turtle. Very cute.

Last edited by a moderator:

Centexsnakes

5 Year Member
Very nice coloring!!

1.1 ball pythons
0.0.1 RES
0.0.1 eastern box
0.0.1 corn snake
2.1 cats
0.1 dog

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Glad u found him. I lost my 4 inch painted 2 weeks ago in Calif.
he is lucky you found him!

5 Year Member
Ok, Wolverine it is. I'm almost positive it's a male because of long tail length, and also pretty elongated, small, & has beautiful markings. I think I was exaggerating about his weight..he seems to be healthy, but at first he felt really light to me. I'm probably putting him in a large tank tomorrow, let him go in a pond possibly, but he is spending the night in this. Should I add more water? I'm using 100% natural spring water, and wild rocks. I think he should be ok for the night.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1377303767.944192.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Clemmys909

5 Year Member
You should let him go where you found him. By taking him home you are not rescuing him, you are taking a turtle out of a population that requires him and every other turtle living there. A turtle taken home or found crushed is one less wild turtle either way.

Not trying to be rude, but I work with turtles and I would be extremely upset if I found out that some poached or "rescued" a turtle out of a population that I study.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
So your advice is to return him to the middle of the road?
Clemmys909 said:
You should let him go where you found him. By taking him home you are not rescuing him, you are taking a turtle out of a population that requires him and every other turtle living there. A turtle taken home or found crushed is one less wild turtle either way.

Not trying to be rude, but I work with turtles and I would be extremely upset if I found out that some poached or "rescued" a turtle out of a population that I study.

5 Year Member
Actually it i wasn't the one who found him. Someone who found him gave him to me, so I took him in, the person obviously didn 't have any idea how to care for him. I wouldn't have the heart to leave a turtle on a busy road though. We have a large lake park in my area so I'm assuming he may have come from there. So that's where I'm letting him go.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Painted turtles are far from endangered or threatened so I personally don't see any issue with keeping him.
I only get upset if someone takes very rare species out of the wild.

Definitely a beautiful male midland painted!

Status
Not open for further replies.