Rescued RES - please help

DanaMM

5 Year Member
Hello. I am a fairly new "tortoise girl" and have been lurking these forums for months now but never had the nerve to post. I never imagined that my first post on a tortoise forum would be about a RES of all things, but here goes...

Today I was handed a young RES (male from what I can tell) by my parents. Apparently he was found on the runway of the airport my mother works at. He was caked in mud and nearly run over by an aircraft. The guys in the logistics station know that my mom has a daughter who keeps tortoises, so they gave him to her to give to me... my parents were nice enough to get some "turtle food" but that was it.

So now I have a 4-5"-ish RES, that is chilling in a medium size Rubbermaid container (I know he needs more space). All of my tanks and tortoise tables are full at the moment and I have no filter or aquarium heater. I have a spare daytime heating lamp with a 125w light/uvb that I can hang over him tomorrow if that will help, but will obviously cause me to need another spare. Research indicates that he will need at least a 150 gallon tank or tub with heater/filter/etc. Yikes. Any suggestions to get him set up relatively cheap? I'm not a cheap person by nature, but this was completely unexpected and I am stuck with him. All of the local animal shelters/rescues are filled up with sliders and its illegal for me to re-release him.

Also, I think he is going to need vet care. I am not sure, but it looks like he might have septicemia... or it could be pink growth marks which I read about, too... but I honestly have no idea. I also have concerns about his private area. I can take him to my tortoise vet but I know this is going to cost $$$ either way.

Also, could any of his issues be airborne? I ask this because while I am AWESOME at washing my hands after handling my tortoises (and I wash between caring for different species, too) I really don't want to get my adult Russian or hatchling Redfoots sick.

Thanks in advance. I know this is a tortoise forum but I have to wait for an admin to grant my access on the turtle forum I found and this place seems more active anyway.

Patch01_zpsb226a497.jpg

Patch02_zps337f6a31.jpg

Patch03_zps19c35269.jpg

Patchbutt01_zps943147cf.jpg

Patchbutt02_zps0baa2a82.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
That turtle looks perfectly normal....good save....yes, you can set the turtle up in a smaller space than the 150 gallon tank, but will eventually have to increase the size of the enclosure.....there are some great ideas out there to gain set up info from.....you can use the overhead heat bulb for the day and get a cheap night bulb for night---but you really will want to pick up a heater for the water so that the turtle does not chill....and a filter will need to be acquired as well....until then you will need to switch out old for new water at least once or twice a week--depending on the size of the enclosure you set up and the amount of waste the turtle will expel which is also based on what and how much food you offer....

They are a great turtle...GIGANTIC personalities for sure....and they will try at every opportunity to convince you that they are starving to death...so don't fall victim to their hopeful eyes whenever you pass.....lol....be strong...:p

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
He looks really good! Although I see why you're worried about his private parts that does look a little strange but I'm no expert on that lol. ascott pretty much said everything I would! Until you get a filter you can feed him in a separate tub or the sink or something to keep the tank a little cleaner. And I think it's okay to post about your aquatic turtle on this forum since there's a section for it, also I think everyone here is very helpful and welcome!! :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I hope your not saying cause this is a great tortoise forum . That you cannt have turtles here . Cause I have yes tortoises but I also have 7 different types of water turtles and I'm not the only one . So see we love turtles also !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
I hope your not saying cause this is a great tortoise forum . That you cannt have turtles here . Cause I have yes tortoises but I also have 7 different types of water turtles and I'm not the only one . So see we love turtles also !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum
If you're talking to me I wasn't saying that at all! I was saying that you can have turtles! That's why there's a whole section for water turtles

DanaMM

5 Year Member
I just wanted to say thank you for the advice. The little guy is doing great. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

So, here's my take on water turtles: They're pretty hard to keep indoors. It would be ok for this winter, but in my opinion, you should be thinking of how you're going to provide an outdoor living space for the turtle starting next spring. If you want to filter the water, the canister filters work best. And for now, you don't have to invest in an expensive glass aquarium. Buy the largest plastic tub you can afford and work with that.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Tractor Supply Company sells stock tanks. They are much cheaper than glass, lighter weight and unbreakable.

A good filter is a must. Get one rated for two or three times the amount of water in your pond.

A basking place is also necessary.

Welcome.