Rescued Sulcata WARNING!! GRAPHIC PIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wezzer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract, UK
I am so happy to hear that Cricket is getting better. He is one strong little tort.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ok I have to ask, and I am not trying to be mean just curious, how do you know the pain meds are working? is he acting differently with them, is he favoring his injured leg? thanks.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
dmmj said:
Ok I have to ask, and I am not trying to be mean just curious, how do you know the pain meds are working? is he acting differently with them, is he favoring his injured leg? thanks.

I can not be 100% sure it is the pain meds working, and not him just feeling better on his own (because I am not in his little tortoise body :p ), but when put on the pain meds, he has seemed to be doing better. Once he is off his pain meds, it will be interesting to see how he does.

No, he is not favoring his injured leg. While the bottom part of that leg is already "dead", he still uses that leg to walk like normal, but he just does not have control over the dead part, obviously.

When he is in his indoor enclosure, he is not very active, but moves around from place to place; although, he mostly sleeps (at least when I check on him). When he is outside, he is active, moving around, sun basking, sitting in the shade for quick naps, etc. Two days of the week I can't get him outdoors during the hours it is still warm/sunny (today being one of them), but he will go back out tomorrow for 1-2 hours while supervised.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Quick update on Cricket....

He has been doing extremely well the past few days. He has drank a lot and has been eating. He looks so much more alert now and his eyes are wide open (no more partial-painful-looking eyes). He actually startled me the other day... I went to take him out of his indoor enclosure to give him his shot and put him outside, but was expecting him to be sleeping/eyes closed. Instead his eyes were WIDE open and he was giving me that natural "angry Cricket" glare. :p

He is definately 95% back to his normal self.... his personality is back.... the way his cocks his head up at me when I am looking down into his enclosure, etc.

For some reason, he has become more friendly to me as well. He does not try to run away, suck himself back up into his shell, etc., like he use to do when I pick him up. He seems more curious and calm (which is odd, considering what he just went through).

When eating, he still struggles (like he always had), in regards to thinking he can just open his mouth and the food will fall in, instead of him needing to move towards to food and aim his mouth! In terms of his new found flexibility to move his head around when eating, it is amazing to watch him and see how far he can get his head down now! He can press his nose all the way to the ground if he wants, which definately helps in regards to his food eating range.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Glad to hear he is doing better. Do u know when hey are going to take the foot, if it dead u would think they would have do it by now I know with Humans they would to stop the risk of Gagarin.

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
This thread was happy then sad and stressful then happy again. So glad there was a happy ending. Having 3 kids I can see both side of this, but accidents do happen that is why they are called ACCIDENTS. NO one plans for an accident or wants one to happen. I love all the pictures of Cricket he is too cute. Keeps posting on his well being as you have been Thank you. :)

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Just read what happened to Cricket and it broke my heart. I feel so bad for Cricket and you. It is good to hear he is doing better, If he looses more then the foot will he be able to walk?

TortesRme

5 Year Member
Canada
I would take him home...name him Quazi Moto and love him for ever!!! Poor little guy!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Sorry for the lack of updates!

Cricket has been doing EXTREMELY well! He has been eating more than he used to be able to, drinking, pooping/peeing, etc. He is back to his normal grumpy/fiesty self, but with a more friendly side to his personality as well! He is done with his injections and is walking/"running" very well.

I just emailed his vet to see when he wants to see him back for his amputation.

2dgvq06.jpg

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
thanks for the update: there is a silver lining to the cloud ~ he can eat better with less shell... I'm hoping for the best outcome and will keep sending positive vibes and meditations your way.

peace........

teri

Kuro

5 Year Member
aww thats great Cricket is doing so well! keep on trucking little one!!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Cricket went back to the vet today for the re-check on his leg. Thankfully, the lower half of his leg died and the live part of his leg had already started to scar over. Therefore, the vet was able to just peel off the dead portion, and he did not need surgery! He is already walking extremely well and is set to go!

10x4sb4.jpg

5o7f2p.jpg

23rqypc.jpg

1e5n6d.jpg

aymy6c.jpg

S

Scooter

His leg looks great, so glad to hear he is recovering so well! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor little baby. What a sweet face. They really are so resilient. I'm hoping you are able to keep this little guy for the rest of his long, long life, and are able to give us updated pictures throughout the whole growing process. He's one I look forward to knowing and seeing as he gets bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.