rescued tortoise please help me find what species it is ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spock88

5 Year Member
hey, my sister came home the other day with a tortoise which she had rescued from inbetween a train track however i have spent so long trying to find out the breed of it i could really use some help, i have attached some pictures.

many thanks.

IMG00546-20120524-1625.jpg

IMG00550-20120524-2029.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum and what a cute little Russian, oh my guess would be a Russian Tortoise... :D

I do not know where you live, but your sister may want to put up a Craigslist add saying she found a tortoise (and not other information that would tip a lying party) and see if someone will claim their escaped tortoise....Russian Torts are masters of the escape and someone may be heartbroken at its loss....:D

spock88

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Welcome to the Forum and what a cute little Russian, oh my guess would be a Russian Tortoise... :D

I do not know where you live, but your sister may want to put up a Craigslist add saying she found a tortoise (and not other information that would tip a lying party) and see if someone will claim their escaped tortoise....Russian Torts are masters of the escape and someone may be heartbroken at its loss....:D

thank you, when we found him he was severly dehydrated, we have posted up ads in the local area where he was found yet had no replys, we have bought books to help us with looking after him and are taking good care :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Spock88:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

If this picture was taken AFTER you had thought you had rehydrated the tortoise, you still have a way to go. He is still dehydrated. Put him into a tub of water that he can't climb out of and just leave him in there for about 15 or 20minutes. Do this every day for a week.

I'm guessing from your pictures that you are in the UK. This is a captive bred steppe (Russian) tortoise, and we don't see many of them here in the States.

If its at all possible, this little tortoise needs to be outside in the sunshine.

spock88

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Spock88:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

If this picture was taken AFTER you had thought you had rehydrated the tortoise, you still have a way to go. He is still dehydrated. Put him into a tub of water that he can't climb out of and just leave him in there for about 15 or 20minutes. Do this every day for a week.

I'm guessing from your pictures that you are in the UK. This is a captive bred steppe (Russian) tortoise, and we don't see many of them here in the States.

If its at all possible, this little tortoise needs to be outside in the sunshine.

These pictures were taken when we first rescued him, i will upload some later photos of him soon, a trip to the vet has been organised this upcoming week to check his health and whether or not he needs any particulaur vaccinations and yes i am from the north west of the England

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well then good save and if no one responded then looks like you will be enjoying this beautiful species of tort....and I would say if you follow what Yvonne suggested you will get him hydrated and plumped up nicely....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
whether or not he needs any particulaur vaccinations

Please do be cautious with this....I am unaware of any vaccinations that tortoise require....be cautious with vitamin A injections as well as other injections---be certain to have the vet clearly and thoroughly explain so you understand if they recommend any injections....:D

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Definitely a russian. Glad your sister saved this little guy but how in the world does a tortoise end up on a train track?

spock88

5 Year Member
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Definitely a russian. Glad your sister saved this little guy but how in the world does a tortoise end up on a train track?

our theory is some kids could have put him there in some cruel joke, the tracks are raised about 6-8 inches (rough estimate) of the ground and the little fella can barely get onto our decking which is 3-4 inches, due to the way he was in the middle of the tracks and at no point do any of the tracks drop any lower then this could be a possibility :/

netz67

5 Year Member
u.k
aww poor lil chap
and well done on the rescue, cant believe what a generation of sadistic kids are prowling our streets , lucky tort i say , good luck with findong his owners failing that what a lovely new pet you will have , i have 3 horsfields but 10 torts in total :)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
People can be quite cruel sometimes. I'm glad your sister picked this guy up and saved him from certain death.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
spock88 said:
our theory is some kids could have put him there in some cruel joke, the tracks are raised about 6-8 inches (rough estimate) of the ground and the little fella can barely get onto our decking which is 3-4 inches, due to the way he was in the middle of the tracks and at no point do any of the tracks drop any lower then this could be a possibility :/

While I am betting that is true, don't the tracks come even where the train tracks cross the road?

Main thing to be aware of, especially since you think a Russian can barely climb a 3-4" deck, actually Russians are one of the very best climbers out there, so keep it in mind when fixing an enclosure. Best to have a lip on them that goes into the enclosure a few inches, so if the tortoise climbs the wall, he gets to the lip and can go no farther.

spock88

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
spock88 said:

While I am betting that is true, don't the tracks come even where the train tracks cross the road?

Main thing to be aware of, especially since you think a Russian can barely climb a 3-4" deck, actually Russians are one of the very best climbers out there, so keep it in mind when fixing an enclosure. Best to have a lip on them that goes into the enclosure a few inches, so if the tortoise climbs the wall, he gets to the lip and can go no farther.

Its a short railway consisting of around 8 stations and there are no road crossings just bridges over or under the railway, but thankyou for the tip on the fencing however we have 7 foot wooden fencing all the way around and a nice big garden to explore, he seems quite happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.