Respiratory infection

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
My tort has a respiratory infection (upper as I remember)… he used to be in a bad enclosure ("pet store care"), now he is in an enclosure with a UVA/UVB bulb. The vet gave some antibiotics and vitamins ADE. He breathes harder, has swollen eyes, and a smaller appetite. He is currently asleep and I'm worried... Any advice? I'm working on his diet.... Recently got Bok Choy and French lettuce for him... Will he eat again? Any treatments out there? He is done taking his meds....
Here is a pic for fun:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404934687.316445.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A better more varied diet is needed. It takes them quite some time to get back to normal after being medicated. I will get some help from one with experience in treating torts to see if there is more you should do. @Yvonne G

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I'm trying to give him a varied diet, but I just started giving him the proper care and I'm working on it... In gonna try to grow and give him some sprouts like the vet said.... Think he'll eat Timothy hay?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I'm gonna try to give an almost daily soak… preparing one right now! Should I start baby food feeding?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
What antibiotic was the tort placed on and how long ago? My guess is that you are giving injections.
The temps in the enclosure should be up to about 85 to build his immune system.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
He's getting better; maybe it was my fault he wasn't eating(I put the food dish somewhere that wasn't clear?) I even have some photos:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404977471.161025.jpg
This is bok choy & romaine (I'm starting to change his diet)
The antibiotic were given via syringe… now I feel embarrassed for overreacting :) LOL !

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Please be sure to offer a daily warm water soak that lasts for no less than 30 minutes....antibiotics are hard on the tortoise kidneys---so keeping the tort hydrated is essential. As mentioned, keep the enclosure no cooler than 80-85 degrees (f) at all times....and during the day be sure to offer a basking spot that rises to 100 degrees(f)....since you are using antibiotics and also increased enclosure temps....the daily soaks are imperative....

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I'm giving 20ish min soaks daily, in gonna make it 30, the bulb makes it got so that's not a problem... Thanks for your replies :)