Respiratory problems and treating with baytril antibiotics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Yvonne G said:
Ok, forget the tortoise and his weight and just concentrate on the medication.

If I have the Baytril for large animals, or a higher strength of medication, isn't there more medication in a milligram of the medication than there is in a milligram of the Baytril for small animals?

If I boil coffee all day until its so strong it sticks to the side of the pan, isn't a milligram of that coffee stronger or more potent than a milligram of coffee barely boiled to make it colored?

Are you saying that a milligram of the 22.7 Baytil holds the same amount of medication as a milligram of the 100 Baytril does?

I think you're mixing up mg and ml. There is more medication in a ml of the 100 mg/ml than there is in the 22.7 mg/ml. The strengths refer to their dilution.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
jaizei said:
I think you're mixing up mg and ml. There is more medication in a ml of the 100 mg/ml than there is in the 22.7 mg/ml. The strengths refer to their dilution.
Precisely!! Concentration is everything!!! The 100mg/ml is much more concentrated than the 22.7mg/ml. Hence to give the same DOSE of each the amount given would be very different. The thing the OP needs to know is the mg/ml(concentration), not the % (although that could very likely be calculated as well). Baytril made available through vet will have the concentration listed on the bottle!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
The percent is easy, just move the decimal over [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

2.7% = 22.7mg/mL

2.27%. DOH!!

byhero

Let's just pay hypothetical so we see what 8mg/kg really means.

Case example:
Oliver the Sulcata. He is 50 lbs
50 divided by 2.2 is 22.7 mg. MilliGRAMS. Not milliliters. Ok, now that I know Oliver needs 22.7 mg's of drug to treat his URI. I have two bottles of Baytril. One is 22.7mg/mL, the bigger bottle is 100mg/mL.

So, now I take Oliver's dose of 22.7 and DIVIDE by the strength of the product. The small bottle is 22.7 mg/mL. That's easy, he will require only 1 mL (aka cc, but don't get me started...metric only!!) of product to treat.
If I use the larger bottle, at 100mg/mL, I would take his dose of 22.7mg and divide by 100 to get a volume of 0.227 mL.

Dose still 8mg/kg, but depending on product strength, thenVOLUME can be very different.

Second case study:
Larry the Greek. He is 500g
500grams divided by 2.2 is 0.227kgs
0.227 kg multipled by 8 (our dose for Chelonians) equals 1.816. Is round to 1.8mg.
So I have my small and large bottle of Baytril. If I choose to use the small bottle at 22.7mg/mL, I divided my dose by the strength. 1.8 / 22.7 = 0.079. I'd inject a volume of 0.08mL

if I choose to use the large bottle, being 100mg/mL, I would do this...
1.8mg / 100 = 0.01mL to be injected.

Dose this make sense?

Basically, take weight in kilograms, multiply by DOSE, then divide by drug STRENGTH.

I hope that clarifies matters.

I took many years of human and veterinary pharmacology. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
I is nerd.

So see my point? 8mg/kg. Same dose, but one tortoise gets 0.08ml, the other gets 1.0mL

please explain this "divided by 2.2". So, what does "2.2" mean?? i cannot understand

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
This thread is quite humorous. Only one person made any sense (Yvonne) is correct. Baytril should not be given by injection. It will cause muscle necrosis. Should be given orally. Scott is also correct. Fortaz would be a better choice for Resp. Disease.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
please explain this "divided by 2.2". So, what does "2.2" mean?? i cannot understand
If you measure your tortoise in pounds, you divide the number of pounds by 2.2 to find out how many kilograms (kg) your tort weighs.

For example if your tortoise weighs 2.2 pounds, that is the same as 1kilogram. If your tort weighs 4.4 pounds, that's 2 kilograms.

Another interesting conversion regards water density. Water weighs approximately 1 gram per milliliter (1 g/mL). 1 liter of water is 1000 milligrams, so 1 liter weighs 1000 grams which is 1 kilogram. A lot of times, you will see people use mg/L (milligrams per liter) interchangeably with mg/kg (milligrams per kilogram).

These doses look like they're given in milligrams of Baytril per kg of tortoise.

Last edited:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I see this thread was started 2 years ago, but I wanted to share that when I asked the makers of Baytril to help out on some issues with the desert tortoises in Nevada (when they were being threatened with euthanasia), the top people in Germany sent me a formal letter saying that Baytril is not approved for tortoises and was never meant to be used for them, here in the USA. (Different in Europe? Do not not know.) Also, The Tortoise Trust warns that leopard tortoises are highly allergic to Baytril and have died from it. Just an add, for your consideration, on this matter.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I see this thread was started 2 years ago, but I wanted to share that when I asked the makers of Baytril to help out on some issues with the desert tortoises in Nevada (when they were being threatened with euthanasia), the top people in Germany sent me a formal letter saying that Baytril is not approved for tortoises and was never meant to be used for them, here in the USA. (Different in Europe? Do not not know.) Also, The Tortoise Trust warns that leopard tortoises are highly allergic to Baytril and have died from it. Just an add, for your consideration, on this matter.
I was just commenting on measurement units. It's the kind of question I deal with at work.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I was just commenting on measurement units. It's the kind of question I deal with at work.

Yes, totally. The Baytril mention reminded me. I think it was not until a year later, in 2014, that the Nevada tortoises were in a dilemma and what I mentioned above happened. I kinda hijacked this thread, so I am very sorry. The Baytril thing just stuck with me from when Bayer Animal Health in Germany sent me the legal letter that they could not help out and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.