Retained Scutes??

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I'm freaking out! My southern painted turtle is shedding (AGAIN) and I realized it's been a while since I saw my midland shed... ANYTHING! I remembered something Anthony P said a while back, and now I'm thinking he has retained scutes :eek::(
Pics of my southern-
jj.jpg
Nice, smooth shell...
hh.jpg
Bottom/sides

Pics of my midland- (I'm sorry, he simply would NOT hold still, I had a towel, he kept peeing on me!)rr.jpg
gg.jpg ll.jpg
See, what I'm most concerned about are those lumpy edges between the scutes, the bad peeling and th fact I haven't see him shed anything!
WHY? They have a great tube UVB, a basking spot that has a portion in water and out at high 80s to the 90s, and it goes down to 70s in the night (Howi [the issue of cerncern) ALWAYS sleeps on the land while the other sleeps in the water) their water is a constant temperature of 70 degrees, and he has got a great diet! Adult maintenance ZOOMed pellets (with less ash!) every day, with the variation of Fluckers turtle buffet, real, cooked meat like beef, chicken and pork at least 3 times a week, veggies like cucumber, dandelions (They HATE their greens) some lettuces and I'm working on growing aquatic plants like duckweed and feeding that too! They recently just got a big upgrade form a 40 gallon tan to a 75 gallon tank, and I've never seen any bulling/biting :(
Is something wrong, or am I just freaking out? :eek:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
How often do you offer a protein rich source (like kind x times per week)....

Usually 4, but they always get something at least 3 times a week... like meat... I give them earthworms sometimes... Recently I even tried crickets, and a delicious treat, and they were very into them!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Thanks for tagging me! I missed this thread!

Actually @zenoandthetortoise is completely correct. Those wheat germ pellets are meant to help koi fish either come out of or go into hibernation. Most pet stores that have a decent amount of pond fish supplies will carry the pellets. It's a good plan of attack for what your turtle seems to have going on. With that said, it doesn't look like a particularly horrible case, but these thing can sometimes worsen over time, so it's good to stay ahead of it like you're obviously trying to do.

I don't think offering high protein foods has much to do with this, but I would offer those items less than 3 or 4 times a week. Once weekly is a healthier approach. Not surprised that he prefers that stuff. I had enjoyed the pizza I had for lunch today, even though a salad would have been better for me at the moment :-/

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thanks for tagging me! I missed this thread!

Actually @zenoandthetortoise is completely correct. Those wheat germ pellets are meant to help koi fish either come out of or go into hibernation. Most pet stores that have a decent amount of pond fish supplies will carry the pellets. It's a good plan of attack for what your turtle seems to have going on. With that said, it doesn't look like a particularly horrible case, but these thing can sometimes worsen over time, so it's good to stay ahead of it like you're obviously trying to do.

I don't think offering high protein foods has much to do with this, but I would offer those items less than 3 or 4 times a week. Once weekly is a healthier approach. Not surprised that he prefers that stuff. I had enjoyed the pizza I had for lunch today, even though a salad would have been better for me at the moment :-/
They'll be so disappointed :rolleyes::p
Are there other foods I can give that are rich in vitaminE?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oh wow, I bought the orange version of those a while back when they were on sale! I'll have to get some more!