RF Temp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Inside Dusty's(almost a yearling) log hide it's around 78. But in most of the enclosure it's between 83-86 depending if I take the temp right under the CHE. Is the log hide to cool for him?

He loves it in there and comes out every morning to eat. The humidity stays in the 70's or higher after I mist.
If you guys think it's to cold I have two options.

1. Move log hide closer to the CHE
2. I have a small reptile heat pad I could put under the hide.
I know some people use the heat cables but I'm not ready to use those just yet.

FYI-He's outside most of the day and comes in the late afternoon. He pretty much just sleeps in the log after he warms up a bit and turns in for the evening.
Kathy

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think your cool temp of 78 is fine however on the hot side I would bump to remain closer to the 88-90ish all the time......IMHO that is....

Other more directly experienced RF caregivers will surely give their opinions as well...sit tight...:D

HarleyK

5 Year Member
In my opinion the temp is fine, although I think it could depend on your tortoise. My yearling RF is always in the 81-84 range, never higher. There is an area in the low 90's of his terrarium, but I have never seen him there in the year that I've had him.

Are you using a temp gun?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'm with Angela on this one, sounds fine but if you can bump those high temps up to the 88-92 range.

I have a 100-watt CHE on the warm end of my enclosure and a 60-Watt on the cool end. Both are hooked into a thermostat. The cool end is ~77 and the warm end is ~86. I also have a 100W MVB on the warm end and directly under that is ~93ºF.

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
I agree, everything seems fine expect you should rise the hot temperature to about 90 degrees.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You are not going to get an absolute answer to this. Different races or groups or Red-footeds seem to have different preferences, like 'cherry-heads' seem to like a wider range than the 'Northerns' do. Also, humidity, hide choice, substrate temps, brightness, etc. all play a role as well.

It may 'like' the cool hide because the rest of the habitat is too dry or bright. Keeper 'A's tortoise may avoid the 90 area because it is too sunny, or the rock underneath it is too hot. Keeper 'B's tort may love the 90 area because the rest of the place is too clammy or wet or something.

In general, however, they do not seem to like it much over about 88ish, and generally avoid places under about 82ish- although they do seem to generally prefer a cooler sleeping area.

I go by behavior in real life. Try shading the other areas a bit more, etc. to see if you can create other places it likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.