RF with an under bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
redfoot male.jpg Picked this guy up yesterday.He has an under bite but other wise seems ok.I'll try to get a good pic,but my blackberry takes horrible pics.

under bite.jpgunderbite 2.jpga cpl. better pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
My dog has an under bite, I think they'e so cute :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually an under bite refers to the top beak coming out over the bottom beak. I have several Manouria that have their under jaw jutting out like yours. I have to keep it filed down. If you use a Dremel and grind it so it looks more normal, then feed the tortoise on something rough (I use a cement stepping stone) it usually stays normal-looking for close to a year. And in the case of your tortoise, I think its just because of poor feeding habits and if you get it ground down and feed right and on a rough surface, it probably won't grow back like that, but will remain normal.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I was looking at it yesterday thinking about grab'n my dremel,but there really isn't anything there to file down.Hard to explain, but it's like a normal lower jaw just sticking out,not over growth.Hope this makes sense.

He's going to my vet this week for a check up and I'll see what his thoughts are.I'm sure his diet wasn't the best from the previous owner.He's 12" and was kept in a dry 55gal. tank..shockingly he's not really all that bad pyramid wise.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
He looks like he's puckering up for a kiss ;)

Let us know what the vet thinks. Best of luck to him and to you.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
if he doenst have very much prymiding then he might have been wild caught in his earlier years. Just a thought.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Excellent job on the save! He will be a happy tortie soon! Was he a rescue or did you buy him? He is agood looking fella!!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A better pic would be nice, but remember that the lower jaw is supposed to fit neatly into the upper jaw.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Torty Mom said:
Excellent job on the save! He will be a happy tortie soon! Was he a rescue or did you buy him? He is agood looking fella!!

Well I wasn't planning on adding another RF until summer,but saw this guy on CL stuffed into a fish tank and had to get him out of there.$150 but I still concider him rescued.

I'll try to get a good pic with my wifes camera,but you have to be a NASA scientist to figure out how to work that thing.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Stev0623 said:
lol cute. guy looks like donkey kong

YES! I was trying to figure out what he reminded me of.

I hope he's alright. I still want to hear what the vet says.

Status
Not open for further replies.