Update on Turtle the Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I have had Turtle the RF now for 9 days. Here are a couple of pics of her eating. She is eating well on Terrys' (Redfoot NERD) "System"

You can see her enclosure a bit. She is on Sphargam moss. She has two water bowls facing each other and the slate she is eating on, as well as a hide in the hot side which she uses a lot, occasionally I find her on the colder side. She and her enclosure are misted heavily each morning and evening. I still have to place her infront of her food. She does not stand on her back legs yet. This is a work in progress.

This is Greens day, grape leafs, Mulberry leafs and Dandelion
DSCF4603.jpg

Gotta get every bite :D
DSCF4610.jpg

Fruit day, Papaya, blackberry, plum
DSCF4628.jpg

Meat day, Pro Plan Weight Maintance Cat Food with Calcium Carbonate
DSCF4674a.jpg

Yummy, she loves her Pro Plan
DSCF4679.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow...I bet she can't believe her luck...all that good food since you are minding her. She looks like she found gold..(meaning GOOD healthy food)

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
with an appetite like that, the road to recovery will only be expedited ;)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Good, she likes the good stuff. She should improve quickly.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Glad she is eating well Robyn. I hope you see improvement soon! Keep up the good work!!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
WAY TO GO ROBYN!!!

"Turtle" is eating better than he ever has in his whole life.. great job!

If I were you I would really get serious with his "keeper"(?).. and his parents.. like you said. I would let them know what has been done.. "Turtle" can't even walk.

I don't know which is worse - not enough light.. or too much.. [ probly too much ]!
Redfoots thrive better with temps at least low to mid-80's.. and high humidity.. but they don't need to swim in it!
Dark 'leafy-greens'.. real ripe fruit and animal protein as a regular diet - and they'll keep you company for the rest of your life!

Great pics BTW...

nerd

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Do you have the Pro Plan Weight Maintance Cat Food mixed with anything? Is it the dry kind? Mine looks like little round pellets.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terryo said:
Do you have the Pro Plan Weight Maintance Cat Food mixed with anything? Is it the dry kind? Mine looks like little round pellets.

This is the only thing fed on the "meat-day".. re-hydrated until soft..

http://www.proplan.com/products/WeightManagement_DryCat.html

46% protein.. #1 ingredient is chicken.

"Turtle" is being fed everyday because of the physical condition she is in. Mine that size are fed on a 2 days on - 2 days off schedule.. same type rotation of greens, fruit and animal protein.

It will most likely take "Turtle" awhile before she can 'walk' again - that's the ultimate goal. Robyn will see to it that it happens!!!

In fact Robyn go ahead and feed 'meat day' 2X and then skip a day.. and make this the new routine.

nerd

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks all for your continued support and positive comments.
Terry will do *meat day 2x then I will skip a day*. I am mixing Calcium Carbonate with her pro plan and make it really soft. I was so surprised she would eat whatever I put down for her. Right now her favorites are not mulberry leafs so I give her a little more grape leaf instead.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I was so surprised she would eat whatever I put down for her.
That's because she hasn't had any "real" food for who knows how long??? - If ever!!!

I would almost get a 'promose' in writing before I gave her back! Let them know that 'Baby' has been abused by the lack of proper care.. surely the parent will insist on that. I'm living in a fantasy world.. I know...

Terry K.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
"I'm living in a fantasy world.. I know..." Yeah, me too Terry. I have already planned on how to handle this. I intend on donating the tote, lamp with ceramic heat emitter and moss and pro plan to start her off right when she goes home. I plan to tell him I am expecting updates and a chance to come see her once in a while especially if I am to be her baby sitter (surrogate grandma). I expect her to stay on the "System" when she goes home. This young person does not live with his parents he is a young adult. But seems to really care for Turtle the RF! Hopefully I will be able to help him get on the right track with her at least it won't be for lack of trying. I will keep all updated. Again, Thanks.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Well today is the 4th of July. And I got a great suprise today. Turtle the RF took her first shakey steps on her back feet today. Hip, Hip Hooray! She was walking using her feet but mainly her knees. Today she stood upright on all four feet and took a few shakey steps. Progress. :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That is wonderful! Yay for Turtle. Stories like this make me cry. I wish that you could keep her.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Congrats Robyn - must feel great to know that you have helped her so much!!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have gotten great joy in working with this little girl. She is so sweet. Kinda like a bud waiting to blossom. Now I have been able to see her begin to blossom. I have taken a few pics of her eating her fruits this morning. Her appitite is up and she has gained weight. She is using her enclosure more now that she is getting around much better. I will post some new pics when I can.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
april s said:
How much longer do you get to take care of her? Please send my pics.

I spoke with the owner yesterday. I will have her at least to 2-3 more weeks. Here is a couple of pics on her special fruit day.

I place Black Plum, Red Plum and Apricot in front of her to see which she would choose. No she didn't get to eat all of them, far too much.
DSCF5035.jpg

She went right for the black plum. When I offered her the others she went back to the black plum.
DSCF5057.jpg

Too much light in this pic, but shows she really loves the black plum as Terry said she would. :D
Darker plums are more nutritious per Terry and our RD at work. Plus they are one of mine and my dogs fav fruits.
DSCF5061.jpg

Next week I am going to try and get a few pics of her walking. I'll post those if I get them.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
UPDATE !
You asked so Here are some update pics on Turtle the Redfoot Tortoise. She will be with me until the 11 of August. I spoke with her owner and he came and saw her Sat. He was amazed at her Progress, the intensity of her colors and her walking. We discussed her care and I think he understands now that he has seen the progress she has made. These pics were taken the day he visited.

Outside for a morning romp
DSCF5173.jpg
]

Posing for the Camera- Aren't I cute :p
DSCF5175.jpg

Ok enough pictures-I’m outa here
DSCF5181.jpg

A few weeks ago she couldn’t stand on those back legs, she would walk on her knees. Look at the stretch in those legs now. Shes up and walking well :D
DSCF5194.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.