RHP

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
Hi everyone! I'm thinking about getting a rhp for my enclosure to replace my che eventually. My che is on a thermostat, but I've just heard rhp are safer in the long run and not as strong concentrated heat right under them.

I have a 4x2 closed chamber, what size rhp do you guys recommend or what brands, etc?

It's for a young leopard if that matters. Thanks everyone!!

Attachments

• 20200423_080758.jpg
    20200423_080758.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If your house has "normal" temperatures, then the 21" one should work. I think it is 78 watts. You can always go bigger, and your thermostat will simply turn it off when the temperature is correct.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
If your house has "normal" temperatures, then the 21" one should work. I think it is 78 watts. You can always go bigger, and your thermostat will simply turn it off when the temperature is correct.
Ok great! Thank you so much!
We keep our house about 65-75 depending on the time of year. Does that also work better for the plants in the enclosure to not burn their leaves like a che? Like I wouldnt have to worry as much about their placement?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I use two 28 watt panels in a 75 gallon tank. Mine is a reptile basics panel I got from @Kapidolo Farms . You could probably get away with using one 40 watt in a 4x2 enclosure.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have an insulated 3'x11' indoor enclosure in my 65 degree basemnt. I have a 128 watt panel on one end and two CHE's on the other end. The CHE's come on usually when i open the door and maybe a few time s per hour at night time when the UVB is off. The UVB generates a lot of heat on its own. I am amazed at how littlle energy my closed chamber takes to run.

Reactions: Tom

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I have an insulated 3'x11' indoor enclosure in my 65 degree basemnt. I have a 128 watt panel on one end and two CHE's on the other end. The CHE's come on usually when i open the door and maybe a few time s per hour at night time when the UVB is off. The UVB generates a lot of heat on its own. I am amazed at how littlle energy my closed chamber takes to run.
Yea I love mine! It's so easy!
I just have heard so many great things about the rhp that I thought I might try it. I always like to find little ways to upgrade things for all my animals lol. Plus I REALLY like the low profile look of them.
I was thinking I'd go longer just so when the inevitable time comes to get him a larger enclosure I'd have something that can do the job atleast until I can get another one and then id always have che's as backups. Right now he's only about 3 inches long so we have a little time lol
I use two 28 watt panels in a 75 gallon tank. Mine is a reptile basics panel I got from @Kapidolo Farms . You could probably get away with using one 40 watt in a 4x2 enclosure.
And okay I will check those out! =) thank you guys!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok great! Thank you so much!
We keep our house about 65-75 depending on the time of year. Does that also work better for the plants in the enclosure to not burn their leaves like a che? Like I wouldnt have to worry as much about their placement?
I've never tried to grow plants under any heat source, but I think the RHP would be a lot less damaging.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I've never tried to grow plants under any heat source, but I think the RHP would be a lot less damaging.
He loves his plants so I figured if that would help keep me from killing them faster that would be great lol.

Mock Tortoise

California
I contacted Pro-Products and asked for a recommendation for a 2x4x2 enclosure with a basking bulb, T5 HO 22”, and a LED strip. I was told that 1’x 2’ 100W would work. But I’m thinking about getting two smaller ones to install on both ends to free up the middle space for the UVB and LED. Their website doesn’t have much information, so you have to call and ask for a recommendation with the description of your setup. I want the Pro-Product one because they have good reviews, and their RHPs are white, so they match the interior of the PVC enclosure I will be getting ?

leoturt

Western Canada
hey, what material are you using to insulate the enclosure? I'm currently looking to build a closed indoor enclosure and looking for good insulation options. you can see my post for more info if you'd like.