RI treatment options from vet

Chip's mom

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia
That is the antibiotic ours has been on too. He just has a whistle, otherwise he's in good shape currently.

I hope that yours gets all better. Good for you for taking such good care of him- he is lucky to have you!

DaphneV

CT
That is the antibiotic ours has been on too. He just has a whistle, otherwise he's in good shape currently.

I hope that yours gets all better. Good for you for taking such good care of him- he is lucky to have you!
Yes. Ours had quite a whistle for the first month and his X-rays showed very unhealthy lungs He was not standing very tall when we got him. Watery eyes also. Now he’s very active. Standing tall and really happy and such an amazing creature. I hope yours improves also. It takes a long time for them to recover according to our vet

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
So if it is unlikely to really cure the infection is it worth that all that treatment that would be stressful for him when he is current doing okay...
JMO , someone knows better can correct me , my best understanding is symptomatic mycoplasma infections are often co-infections secondary to other diseases or causes .....mycoplasma can be present in "healthy" asymptomatic tortoises , it's only a problem when it's symptomatic .... my guess is they improve slowly because the ceftazidime cures the primary infection and the tortoises immune system deals with the clinical mycoplasma infection over time ........ ...... any antibiotics i've ever used started working within the first 3 doses , unless they were the wrong ones ...... long term care/antibiotics , slow recoveries , i believe are more along the lines of supportive care , helping the animals own immune response takes care of the core problem .....

DaphneV

CT
JMO , someone knows better can correct me , my best understanding is symptomatic mycoplasma infections are often co-infections secondary to other diseases or causes .....mycoplasma can be present in "healthy" asymptomatic tortoises , it's only a problem when it's symptomatic .... my guess is they improve slowly because the ceftazidime cures the primary infection and the tortoises immune system deals with the clinical mycoplasma infection over time ........ ...... any antibiotics i've ever used started working within the first 3 doses , unless they were the wrong ones ...... long term care/antibiotics , slow recoveries , i believe are more along the lines of supportive care , helping the animals own immune response takes care of the core problem .....
Interesting. I am going to ask the vet about this. She says this length of recovery is common and isn’t worried about him. He’s gained over a pound since we got him a little over 3 months ago so he seems to be thriving. Thanks for the information

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
maybe a difference in definitions ? a thriving eating turtle or tortoise ,imo, is not sick..... as long as they have finished an appropriate course of antibiotics to get to thriving and eating , my guys would be done with any treatment that got them there .... i very much prefer to not intervene when it comes to their health , and then keep it as minimally invasive as possible , unless neccessary .....my vet has enough experience to know the more invasive you have to get , the worse the outcomes tend to be ..... i am as pro-veterinarian as anyone you'll find on this site , i've known too many to be otherwise ........i have never taken a reptile to a vet that was still eating , it's pretty much my threshold for when that happens .......... my opinion is any bacterial infection that survives 2-3 weeks of properly dosed antibiotics is probably resistant to what is being used ....... again , i stand to be corrected this is JMO

DaphneV

CT
maybe a difference in definitions ? a thriving eating turtle or tortoise ,imo, is not sick..... as long as they have finished an appropriate course of antibiotics to get to thriving and eating , my guys would be done with any treatment that got them there .... i very much prefer to not intervene when it comes to their health , and then keep it as minimally invasive as possible , unless neccessary .....my vet has enough experience to know the more invasive you have to get , the worse the outcomes tend to be ..... i am as pro-veterinarian as anyone you'll find on this site , i've known too many to be otherwise ........i have never taken a reptile to a vet that was still eating , it's pretty much my threshold for when that happens .......... my opinion is any bacterial infection that survives 2-3 weeks of properly dosed antibiotics is probably resistant to what is being used ....... again , i stand to be corrected this is JMO
We actually have a culture planned for 3 weeks if he Hasn’t improved. We have seen a slow and steady improvement I am absolutely going to ask the vet about what you said. Thank you.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Interesting. I am going to ask the vet about this. She says this length of recovery is common and isn’t worried about him. He’s gained over a pound since we got him a little over 3 months ago so he seems to be thriving. Thanks for the information
i believe mycoplasma is hard to treat because it lives on the surface of the sinuses, throat, and internal nares , i'm assuming those surfaces gets poor blood supply so it's hard to deliver an inhibitory concentration ...... it's why they do nasal flushes with enrofloxacin , to get the surface ...........

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Yes. Ours had quite a whistle for the first month and his X-rays showed very unhealthy lungs He was not standing very tall when we got him. Watery eyes also. Now he’s very active. Standing tall and really happy and such an amazing creature. I hope yours improves also. It takes a long time for them to recover according to our vet
How wonderful! What type of tortoise do you have? I think we might do the x-ray, tough call because he is definitely better now, the whistle is still there just a bit.