Whistling when breathing - RI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Milly is whistling with every breath. Im assuming she has a respitory infection?

How bad is the infection when whistling occurs? Ive bumped up my temps to 29oC lowest and i'll keep it at that for night time too until she shows no signs of RI.

Is there anything else I should do? How long should I leave it before seeing a vet?

Still eating, pooping, very active, no bubbles from nose.

Worried :( Thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Still eating, pooping, very active, no bubbles from nose.
Milly is whistling with every breath

Does not sound like a respiratory infection to me....sounds more like I would check the humidity to begin with....also check the substrate for high dust and particles easily taken in while breathing....

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
The humidity has dropped from 80% to 50% in the last couple of days because the substrate (coco coir) needs re-moistening. Its been in there a while now, about 4 months - do you think it could need changing?

Im really worried today. Her breathing seems laboured, heavy, with the occasional squeak. But shes still acting normal. Her lowest temp is still 29oC. How long do you think i should leave it before seeing a vet? thanks.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
One of my adults whistles when she breathes, although not constantly. usually when she gets a little nervous and starts breathing a bit heavier. The whistling may just be something normal with your tort since she doesn't seem sick. Keep an eye on her for any symptoms of an RI, but otherwise just let her play normally. :)

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
She was whistling a lot yesterday, but Ive not heard it today. I thought whistling WAS a sign of RI - Is it not? Maybe upping the temps has done her some good, think i'll leave them a bit higher for a couple more days and see how she is. Thanks for the imput :)

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
LeopardTortLover said:
She was whistling a lot yesterday, but Ive not heard it today. I thought whistling WAS a sign of RI - Is it not? Maybe upping the temps has done her some good, think i'll leave them a bit higher for a couple more days and see how she is. Thanks for the imput :)

It can be a real sign of an RI, but not all signs mean they have that problem. You'd see the other signs you mentioned also if she was delaing with an RI. Higher temps are always better if you think they are feeling ill. Mine love the super hot days here in the 90's.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Whistling alone is not a sign of a RI....I would make sure to keep an area in the enclosure as a warm humid hide/area so your tort can retreat there if they feel dry....also, if you make your substrate 5-6 inches deep then you can keep the substrate moist under the first layer...which will allow your tort a moist place to dig down into if they want...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.