Roadblock on enclosure...

P

pguinpro

So I ditched the 20gal because there wasn't enough room to roam and got this 55gal. In March I plan on getting a 200gal square tub. Anyways, I ran in to a roadblock. Initially I bought a slab of plexiglas glass but come to find out it's difficult to put holes in plexiglas without cracking it. So I'm looking for reccomendations for a cover that's clear as glass but not plexiglas glass or glass Haha; hope I'm not asking for the impossible.1529360632911.jpeg

P

pguinpro

Greetings, what have you tried to cut holes in your plexiglass? It can be done, so wondering what u have tried.
So I wanted to attach something to those bracket,s pictured, which I've already installed and paid for. Unfortunatly putting or drilling small hole in plexiglass just causes it to fracture crack and I dont have correct equiptment to do it and correct equiptment is quite costly so looking for alternatives. Wish this tub came with clear cover but the cover was yellow [emoji24]

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
So I wanted to attach something to those bracket,s pictured, which I've already installed and paid for. Unfortunatly putting or drilling small hole in plexiglass just causes it to fracture crack and I dont have correct equiptment to do it and correct equiptment is quite costly so looking for alternatives. Wish this tub came with clear cover but the cover was yellow [emoji24]
Be VERY CAREFUL if you try this. Take a knife and get the tip of it hot, like hold it in a flame for 30-45 seconds, over a gas stove burner works best. Once it's really hot you can poke your holes for your screws right thru with the tip of the knife. If the knife is hot enough it will cut right thru like butter.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was going to suggest same as Will. You can cut out a part of the wood and glue the plexiglass over the top of it.
However, you do know that the uvb will not go thru the plexi or glass. So I would use plastic and crap it over the enclosure and lights/heat

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
I just use a dollar store shower curtain, make sure it’s not near your heat source[emoji1]

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
I was going to suggest same as Will. You can cut out a part of the wood and glue the plexiglass over the top of it.
However, you do know that the uvb will not go thru the plexi or glass. So I would use plastic and crap it over the enclosure and lights/heat

Crap it over [emoji23]