Rotton Egg Smell!!!!???

colatoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
So my wife wanted me to move my fish tank to the other side of the room. I drained it about 75% and cleaned it as well. About an hour after getting it all set back up the entire room smells like sulfur. I read that it is most likely anaerobic bacteria from stirring up my sand substrate. My question is does anyone have experience with this and approx how long til smell goes away?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a bad deal. It can take up to 8 weeks for your tank to re-cycle. The difference between your tank and a new tank is that you already have a heavy biological load down in your gravel. Do you use a gravel vac when doing your water changes?

I'd use a gravel vac and do 30% water changes once a week for the next few weeks.

Adding some more activated carbon to the filter media might help reduce the smell in the mean time.

What sort of filtration are you currently running?

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
That is a bad deal. It can take up to 8 weeks for your tank to re-cycle. The difference between your tank and a new tank is that you already have a heavy biological load down in your gravel. Do you use a gravel vac when doing your water changes?

I'd use a gravel vac and do 30% water changes once a week for the next few weeks.

Adding some more activated carbon to the filter media might help reduce the smell in the mean time.

What sort of filtration are you currently running?
I changed my carbon while I was cleaning. Using a fluval 50 in a 36 gallon bowfront. Also have a uv filter running. Only fish in it are 7 corydoras. They seem fine. I put a bowl of coffee grinds in the room and that has controlled the smell. Ph levels are on point. Aside from the stank everything seems ok. I'll take your advice on the water changes

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
If the pH is OK, I would not sweat it. Anaerobic conditions will usually be quite acidic. I WOULD check it every day for a while, and I would change the carbon every week for a while. You dodged a bullet; many times when one stirs up a dirty bottom, one looses a whole tank of fish. I would also echo the comment: use a gravel vac, and weekly water changes (I would be doing larger than 30% though). Pre-condition, warm, and aerate your change water a day in advance. Fortunately, most Corys are very tough.

Randi

Canada
Ammonia will be your biggest concern. Look for cloudy water as well as smell. You must test for ammonia. It will inhibit normal breathing. You tend to see them at the top swimming if this is the case. Ammonia is caused by a lack of good bacteria in the tank. The good bacteria eats away at the ammonia but only once the bacteria has balanced out. You can purchase good bacteria supplements to ensure your fish will be okay.