RSPCA warns rise of 'fad pets'

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
RSPCA warns rise of 'fad pets' inspired by popular films is leading to widespread neglect of exotic animals

The warning comes as the government announces the online sale of dangerous exotic pets like snakes, lizards and meerkats is to be regulated for the first time

By Laura Hughes, Political Correspondent, December 25, 2015, Telegraph.co.uk

The rise of "fad pets" and impulse purchasing following the release of popular films is leading to the widespread neglect of exotic animals, the RSPCA have warned in the run up to Christmas.

When Harry Potter hit screens in the early 2000s,
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ens-for-owls-dumped-by-Harry-Potter-fans.html

The animal charity also saw a 191 per cent rise in the number of calls about meerkats, after the Compare the Meerkat advert was launched in 2009.

After the release of Finding Nemo in 2003, they said pet shops and breeders reported a 60 per cent rise in sales of clown fish, despite the message of the film's focus on how Nemo resisted being captured and kept in a tank.

The warning comes as the government announces the online sale of dangerous exotic pets like snakes, lizards and meerkats is to be regulated for the first time.

Current laws predate the large-scale sale of animals over the internet and there are
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/8008811/The-wild-world-of-exotic-pets.html
A report compiled by the Blue Cross pet charity and the Born Free Foundation, discovered 25,000 adverts offering more than 120 types of exotic animal for sale.

They uncovered a number of adverts not properly identifying the species for sale, or whether the animals being sold would make appropriate pets.

Of particular concern was an advert for "18 royal pythons in need of a quick sale" and another for a boa constrictor "with a history of aggression."

The report found four examples of adverts for wild cats that need certificates under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act , including an ocelot, a serval, a caracal and a leopard cat.

Blue Cross say none of these adverts stated that a certificate was needed or would be provided and that if any of these animals escaped they could cause serious damage to other wildlife and pets.

The charity said they were also concerned by an advert for a four and a half foot long Nile monitor lizard, which they saw was being kept in a six foot by three foot tank.

Becky Thwaites, Blue Cross Public Affairs Manager, said: “Buying an exotic pet online is unfortunately far too easy – just a quick online search will bring up hundreds of results for all almost any kind of animal you can think of.

"The problem is that anyone can sell exotic pets online with no checks or restrictions in place, as there would be for those selling animals from a pet shop, which means online sellers aren’t subject to any kind of checks regarding the welfare of the pets they are selling.”

George Eustice, an Environment Minister, has said that the Government's current review into all animal licensing will include a reassessment of the Pet Animals Act 1951, "because it was designed in an era when the internet did not exist".

George Eustice has said moves giving parliament the power to veto ECJ were overdue Photo: REUTERS/Stephen Hird

The law is already clear in that anyone trading on the internet must have a pet shop licence whether or not they have a pet shop in the high street, but the minister said it was important to review online regulation "to make sure it is clear."

He added: “We are reviewing animal related licensed activities such as pet sales to address problems associated with the growing trend for internet sales that can contribute to impulse buying.”

Under new laws online pet sellers could be forced to legally register their trade, declare whether animals require a licence under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act and have their premises inspected by councils.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good thing those dumb Brits have a government that is so smart and able to make all their decisions about life for them.

Sheesh… Can you imagine what would happen if people were allowed to think for themselves and take responsibility for their own actions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's the problem Tom. Too many don't think and don't take responsibility. Too many are all about the money or impulse buying a "cool" animal with no thought to it. We have seen it here. I'm all for permits, inspections, regulations, education and licensing for certain animals. Heck, I wish they would put a hefty, yearly license fee to breed dogs. We wouldn't have so many unwanted homeless mutts if they did. If one can pass the requirements then there isn't a problem.

Prairie Mom

That's the problem Tom. Too many don't think and don't take responsibility. Too many are all about the money or impulse buying a "cool" animal with no thought to it. We have seen it here. I'm all for permits, inspections, regulations, education and licensing for certain animals. Heck, I wish they would put a hefty, yearly license fee to breed dogs. We wouldn't have so many unwanted homeless mutts if they did. If one can pass the requirements then there isn't a problem.
Couldn't agree more!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it's simple people you can't legislate stupidity. Stupid people are going to do stupid things including impulse buys

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego

Just wait a bit and you will get your wish. The government is all to happy to supply the rules, permits, and licenses you appear to desire.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just wait a bit and you will get your wish. The government is all to happy to supply the rules, permits, and licenses you appear to desire.
i don't desire them as much as I feel it's a necessity, for the sake of animals. I care more about the animal then the people being able to have them. If it were licensed and regulated, there is a better chance of them not being outlawed altogether, in my opinion. Way too many exotics let go or abandoned/abused.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Right. So the government should make all the decisions for everybody, and nobody should get what they want because somebody might make an irresponsible choice.

Chairman Mao would like to welcome you home.

Barb, America is a free society. This means means freedom to do the right thing, or freedom to make a dumb choice and do the wrong thing. Of course people need to be held responsible for doing damage for this to work, but do you really want that choice taken away from YOU, me and all the other responsible people out there who are NOT going to do the right thing? Do you really want a DMV type experience when trying to get a new tortoise? If yes, then America and its founding principles are not for you.

Throw out the few bad apples, not the whole bunch.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't believe having regulations would take it away from me, you and many other responsible people. I do believe it would take it away from those that shouldn't have. Besides, this isn't as free of a country as you think. There are regulations of some sort on most everything we do, that is way less important then animals. I'm not saying outlaw them, I'm saying make it much harder for just anyone to have one. A standard of care and the means to afford that standard of care required. If you meet it, then you have no problem. If you don't meet it, too bad, move on.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
My solution to fulfill the need to acquire an exotic animal is in supporting the San Diego Zoo. They have the knowledge and resources to care for animals in a ways I could never offer. There are opportunities to get up close to critters with the satisfaction of knowing they are well cared for. All of this without me feeding, cleaning and paying for vet services.

Look for "keepers talk" at the Zoo. Free with admission. You might get to meet a pangolin.
This pangolin from Africa was discovered at the airport being illegally smuggled into the U.S. Officials gave him to the zoo.

143.JPG

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like no bengal white tiger for me. :-(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Unfortunately there is an element in society that likes to acquire unusual animals because they think it makes them look 'cool', then they get bored or realise they can't afford to care for them properly. So the poor creatures either end up in sub standard living conditions until they prematurely die of neglect, or they get dumped in the wild and are left to fend for themselves. Some are surrendered to animal welfare groups where hopefully they will be rehomed, but I think I heard recently that many healthy animals common and exotics were having to be euthanized because organisations just don't have the resources to keep them all indefinitely. Very sad. I am all for stricter controls whatever form they take for breeders, sellers and buyers in the UK for the sake of the animals.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I am all for stricter controls whatever form they take for breeders, sellers and buyers in the UK for the sake of the animals.
And I echo this sentiment for the USA, (but I'm not in favor of excitative orders)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And I echo this sentiment for the USA, (but I'm not in favor of excitative orders)

The founding fathers warned that our destruction could only come from within. Well… we are on our way aren't we.

When people have so much distrust of their fellow citizens intentions and ability to do the right thing, that they would rather the federal government make all their decisions for them, well, at that point we are doomed as a society. Sad really. Give people their freedom at the greatest of great costs, and some percentage of them just can't wait to hand it right back to the people we had to take it from in the first place… So very very sad for us…

Personally, I want YOU people to decide what animals you can or can't, or should or shouldn't have. Just as I want to decide for myself. If its someone's life long dream to own an alligator and they want to spend their own time and money to house and care for it properly, I have no problem with that. If they make poor choices and the animal or someone around them suffers for it, then they should be held responsible. Simple as that. If on the other hand they behave like most responsible adults would, then I think they should be able to live out their dream uninhibited by government goons that don't know the first thing about the laws they are charged with enforcing, and the fees, taxes and licenses that come along with them.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
so do we set up a new government agency? have yearly checks on habitat? have one set of standards or leave it up to each individual inspector?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
some of the scariest words ever heard all for the sake of the animal

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not scary at all. The human race is the greediest of all species, Americans probably the most. They want what they want no matter what. If only humans paid for the mistake, it might be different. However the truth is, the animal suffers dearly while the human barely gets a slap on the wrist. If you can meet the standard of care for the animal, then there isn't a problem. However, I don't believe every animal on the planet should be able to be held captive because of ones wants or greed. Animals are the ones that pay for the mistakes and only they truely pay.
I want a sea turtle, killer whale and a dolphin. Geez, I don't have a giant pool, that's heated and covered for winter. I'm not a millionaire, so probably can only afford to buy one and maybe feed it for a year or so, but I should be able to have them anyway because I want them. I don't think so. I'm not stupid and that is a bit extreme. However, many people have that idiotic kind of thinking, would get their animal of choice, and in no time, the animal would suffer, be neglected, abandoned or dumped or all the above. Sorry, like I have said many times on this forum. I care more about animals then humans and really care less about human wants. If you can't have it, get over it and move on, or do what would be required to have it.
Maybe if our laws valued animals lives more I would feel different. However, that's not the way it is.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Unfortunately there is an element in society that likes to acquire unusual animals because they think it makes them look 'cool', then they get bored or realise they can't afford to care for them properly. So the poor creatures either end up in sub standard living conditions until they prematurely die of neglect, or they get dumped in the wild and are left to fend for themselves. Some are surrendered to animal welfare groups where hopefully they will be rehomed, but I think I heard recently that many healthy animals common and exotics were having to be euthanized because organisations just don't have the resources to keep them all indefinitely. Very sad. I am all for stricter controls whatever form they take for breeders, sellers and buyers in the UK for the sake of the animals.

Unusual animals like tortoises?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not scary at all. The human race is the greediest of all species, Americans probably the most. They want what they want no matter what. If only humans paid for the mistake, it might be different. However the truth is, the animal suffers dearly while the human barely gets a slap on the wrist. If you can meet the standard of care for the animal, then there isn't a problem. However, I don't believe every animal on the planet should be able to be held captive because of ones wants or greed. Animals are the ones that pay for the mistakes and only they truely pay.
I want a sea turtle, killer whale and a dolphin. Geez, I don't have a giant pool, that's heated and covered for winter. I'm not a millionaire, so probably can only afford to buy one and maybe feed it for a year or so, but I should be able to have them anyway because I want them. I don't think so. I'm not stupid and that is a bit extreme. However, many people have that idiotic kind of thinking, would get their animal of choice, and in no time, the animal would suffer, be neglected, abandoned or dumped or all the above. Sorry, like I have said many times on this forum. I care more about animals then humans and really care less about human wants. If you can't have it, get over it and move on, or do what would be required to have it.
Maybe if our laws valued animals lives more I would feel different. However, that's not the way it is.

Am I greedy Barb? Are you? Is Yvonne? Gale? Captain Awesome?

You think the government charging me fees and granting me permission, or not, is going to help animals? You think they know better what a tortoise does or doesn't need than I do? Is my greed the reason I've learned what I've learned. The kind of bureaucracy that you crave will not solve the problems you speak of. There will still be idiots and there will still be miscreants. The bad parts will not change because you vote for the government to "do something" about a problem. What will change is what all the millions of law abiding citizens will have to endure and pay.

Need examples?

Drugs. Drugs like heroin and cocaine are dangerous. The government should make a law so that all these people aren't able to do these drugs.

How about drunk driving? They should make a law against that too. That way it would never happen, right?

Here's a good example: It is illegal for me to put a storage shed on my own property that is larger than 10x10' with out paying the government $225 and begging for permission. Its a good thing they did something to protect me and my family from the dangers of those 11x11' storage sheds. It could have been a disaster if I'd been left to my own devices. Of course, those 11x11' sheds are completely safe after I've paid my fees and get my government permission slip. THIS is the kind of control you are advocating we bring into our lives regarding our pets? Because someone somewhere might do something wrong?

This makes no logical sense. Laws only affect the law abiding, who don't needs laws to tell them right from wrong in the first place. The baddies will continue doing what they do whether there is a law or not.