RT Set-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

antmantis1

5 Year Member
Hello. I will be getting a russian tortoise soon. And decided since this guy is about 4 inches I will give him a tortoise table. I'm not sure if that is the word please correct me if I'm wrong. I 'm REALLY new. Also, since I'm pretty godd with hardware stuff I decided it would be a nice little "wood" project for myself. It was about time I grabbed a hammer and some nails. But back on topic. I decided to put this "supposed" enclosure on top of a dresser and build the wood up from there you see. So basically have a dresser that is sitting in my room and I'm going to place wood on top of it and those will be like his walls and the dresser will be his floor space. Sound's cool right. WRONG. See even though this guy is small I don't think it's enough space. OF COURSE his enclosure will be upgraded but still I don't want him cramped. I took measurements with a tape measurer and got this about "2 and half feet long". So that is about "26 inches" and it is "1 foot and a half long". And the exact measurement of that is "15 inches". To me it seems small. But I've spoken to this man who has had RT's for 8 years now. And he said th RT will do fine in this enclosure for a couple of months but then for me to upgrade. He even showed me some of his setup's for a 5 inch RT that was in a table around the same size. His was about 12 inches wide though. So give me some idea's and as soon as possible pictures will be put up. Thanks! :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
That would be too small. RT's need a temperature gradient: warm/basking side 95F and cool side 70F. They like to walk around.
4'x2' would be a minimum for one RT, and only if they could be outside (at least in the day) in a pen for the warmer months...
Good you are checking this out ahead of time...

Status
Not open for further replies.