RT shell problem

ttran

Hi guys, my boy has this when i received him, is there a way to recover his shell ?

20141219_125545.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi 'T', and welcome to the Forum!

No, it will just have to take time to fix itself. Those spots will never grow back, but eventually, maybe a couple of years, the white spots will lift up and flake off and new shell will show underneath.

ttran

Thanks Yvonne, i am living in south california and the temperature is around 53F at night, he is in the outdoor cage, with a ceremic heater inside, is it ok ? Or i have to take him in ? The heater doesnt point directly to him..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that sounds ok. Russian tortoises can handle a bit cooler weather. I'm surprised he's not wanting to hibernate.

ttran

Yeah, the weather here is cool, not cold and it's warm at noon, so i think that's why he doesnt hibernate. By the way, i am only feeding him salad now, is it ok ?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Are there weeds available to him outside? If not you will need more variety than just "salad" especilly if its just romaine or iceburg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I think 42 is a bit too cold if you are not hibernating him. I don't let mine go below 65.

ttran

He has the ceramic heater in the shelter and he is fine till now, it's unusual cold in cali this winter