Rubbing his eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
My Russian keeps rubbing his face/eyes on his legs, and blinking- A lot!

I think it's his bedding. I'm using Cypress mulch, I got at lowes. I spray it everyday. But I can see cypress on his face, so, this morning I soak him and then let him outside for about two hours. Which bring me to my next question, today, just today, Kingsley has been a little less active in his cage then normally but just in his cage. I took him outside, actually we just came in, and he was normal out-side. And by normal I mean, think of a kid of Christmas morning. So maybe my temps our a little low, there at 85. or could the inactive be because the bedding is mess with is eyes?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I don't think the bedding in his eyes would affect his activity or energy levels. Russians generally just love being out in the open and roaming around. Sorry I'm not too familiar with your enclosure, but is there a reason why he is not outside on a normal basis?

I have Russians but they have never been inside. I just want to see if I can get a better understanding. How big is your indoor enclosure?

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
Fernando said:
I don't think the bedding in his eyes would affect his activity or energy levels. Russians generally just love being out in the open and roaming around. Sorry I'm not too familiar with your enclosure, but is there a reason why he is not outside on a normal basis?

I have Russians but they have never been inside. I just want to see if I can get a better understanding. How big is your indoor enclosure?

Kingsley get outside everyday for at least, most of the time more, one hour. And he'll be outside everyday until winter come.

Here is a picture, it's pretty much the same. I've add some fake plants, and the tub is push into the mulch was more and facing forward. But I just moved the tub today.

Attachments

• IMG_2047.JPG
    IMG_2047.JPG
    984.8 KB · Views: 168

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Does he sleep a lot while he is in the enclosure or does he just move slowly. I'm thinking that it's just a matter of boredom.

The reason I say this is because when my sulcata is outside, she acts similar to your Russian. She will run around like a kid in a candy store, but when I put her inside the house in her enclosure, she just goes straight to her hide to sleep or sits under the basking light...even though she's been outside all day in the sun.

Unless she is hungry...then she REALLY moves in the enclosure.

He could be exhausted too

I don't think there should be a problem with the cypress mulch, other then him getting it stuck to his leg and putting it on his face or vice versa.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
I can't say what he does too much in the morning, but he normally likes to run over the fake plants. Move that big tub box around, I sometimes add things and take them out at nighttime and with the things I add he moves them around too... But your right he could be bored... I'll have to think of a way to un-bored him.

I put the CHE on just to see what Kingsley will do, I"m sitting close by so I'll know if it get too hot.

Okay, I think I'd rule out Temps... on the plus side he is more active. I turned on the CHE, and now he on the other side of the cage trying to chime himself. I've turn off the CHE. It was on maybe 15 minutes... He's stop and is behind the tub. Heat was not the problem....!

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
After having a fight with the tub, which I think too big for him, and knocking down the plant. He now a sleep in the UVB/ heat light. I have no idea why he was acting so funny this morning/ early afternoon.

However, he is still blinking a lot or do Russian tortoise blink a lot?

I will update.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I never notice Russians blinking anymore than usual...is the substrate JUST cypress? Do you notice anything in his eyes? Is the substrate somewhat moist?

Have you tried flushing his eyes out with water (Maybe while soaking run water over his head with your hands)

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
Never mind, just look at the bag. I don't have cypress. I have (rustic red) colored much. This is the problem with being dyslexic, see one correct letter and my brain just fill in the rest. Not really happy that I don't have the mulch I wanted, even worst my own fault... This could be my problem! :(

There isn't really any thing in his eye's, I checked. But I did try and flush them out when I soaked him today.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Lilithlee said:
Never mind, just look at the bag. I don't have cypress. I have (rustic red) colored much. This is the problem with being dyslexic, see one correct letter and my brain just fill in the rest. Not really happy that I don't have the mulch I wanted, even worst my own fault... This could be my problem! :(

There isn't really any thing in his eye's, I checked. But I did try and flush them out when I soaked him today.

Well, there you have it. Wrong substrate. I'd change it out to the correct one asap.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
Fernando said:
Lilithlee said:

Well, there you have it. Wrong substrate. I'd change it out to the correct one asap.

Can't believe I did that! Oh, well. Was getting another bag anyways now it will just have to be two.
Thanks for everyone help with the small mystery of Kingsley blinking eye's. The stuff my tortoise put up with.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
UPDATE:

Went to lowes and changed out all of the substrate, I couldn't do it yesterday, but I got it done early this morning. Kingsley only been it a short time but I've only seen him blink a couple of times. Also, I took out the big tub and added in two smaller flower pots. It get him more hides and fun little hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.