Bubbly Eyes

maaarble

Location (City and/or State)
Alameda, CA
I recently adopted this adult male Russian Tortoise and I noticed that his eyes were looking bubbly and possibly swollen?? I've heard him sniffing a few times and rubbing at his head with his front legs. I attached some pictures of his eyes for reference. I use Zoo Med Forest Floor Bedding as his substrate and he likes to burrow in the soil when I put him out in my backyard to roam. He has a water dish in his enclosure which I change daily and I give him a soak a few times a week.
What do you guys think the issue is? Could it be a humidity issue? Does it look like he has some sort of infection, and what should I do to treat it until I can get him to the vet?bubbles.jpg puffy???.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
What is he eating in the first pic? Looks like meat which is unrelated. Definitely post your heat, lighting, and temps though.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I recently adopted this adult male Russian Tortoise and I noticed that his eyes were looking bubbly and possibly swollen?? I've heard him sniffing a few times and rubbing at his head with his front legs. I attached some pictures of his eyes for reference. I use Zoo Med Forest Floor Bedding as his substrate and he likes to burrow in the soil when I put him out in my backyard to roam. He has a water dish in his enclosure which I change daily and I give him a soak a few times a week.
What do you guys think the issue is? Could it be a humidity issue? Does it look like he has some sort of infection, and what should I do to treat it until I can get him to the vet?View attachment 240911 View attachment 240909

Why would you rush to the vet....the tort is eating, mobile and nothing looks so out of sorts to deserve a stressful event as a vet ....How long have you had the tort? What is the torts set up like?

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Bubbles...that's a new one on me.

The diet in that first pic is what is concerning...that almost looks like fish meat of some kind?

Without even knowing anything about the setup I can tell you to swap to dark leafy greens like collards or kale and things like dandelion. And he looks in bad need of a soak, I would do 15 minutes twice a day for a couple days then once a day for a few days and graduate to once every 3 or 4 days. Also check your basking spot temp is not over 105 and your not baking him.