Russian Tortoise Eye Problem!

charlie_czer

Hi all,

I noticed something today and I wanted to make sure it was okay. Whenever my Russian tortoise eats romaine his eyes start to bulge and he starts rubbing his eyes. Does anybody know what this is?
Thanks!

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
Hi all,

I noticed something today and I wanted to make sure it was okay. Whenever my Russian tortoise eats romaine his eyes start to bulge and he starts rubbing his eyes. Does anybody know what this is?
Thanks!
Huh. I've never heard of that. Almost sounds like an allergy? I don't know. Hopefully someone with experience of this phenomenon will come along and enlighten us.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know why this is happening, however, my advice is to stop feeding romaine and try other dark leafy greens such as escarole, endive, radicchio, mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens. Romaine isn't awful, however, it's not all that nutritious either.

sroberts

Sorry, I'm new :( i dunno how to post a new thread...but I just adopted this little guy from my friend. Are his nails too long? Is it unhealthy? Do I cut/file them for him?

Attachments

• 1439535746363.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 32

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Sorry, I'm new :( i dunno how to post a new thread...but I just adopted this little guy from my friend. Are his nails too long? Is it unhealthy? Do I cut/file them for him?
Nails look fine, russian nails are a bit long for digging and climbing.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Just to rule anything else out, can you post pictures of your enclosure? Get a picture p
Of the lights you use too.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
The nails are fine. Can you get a clearer shot of the beak? I can't be 100% sure with this photo, but it looks possibly overgrown?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Your tortoise should be walking around its habitat, not on the floor. Those nails are very useful on substrate. Floors don't offer the correct temperature or humidity and don't support healthy muscle use.

Houses are dangerous places for tortoises. Everyone thinks they can watch out for danger every second, but we've had spectacular fails. Head shut in door, tortoise disappeared, run over... It would seem like a great place for exercise, but really it's not.

Read the care sheet. We'll help you get your tortoise set up.

Lauren13705

My little guy does it too, I heard that they have a third eyelid and sometimes it budges out, then once he rubs his eye and blinks it goes away.. I don't know if I'm correct or not I thought I would share.

Lauren13705

Hi all,

Thanks!

I apologize for answering again, but I was right, all animals have third eyelids. So sometimes it shows and the tortoises eyes become puffy. My russian does it too, it's normal so don't worry!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I apologize for answering again, but I was right, all animals have third eyelids. So sometimes it shows and the tortoises eyes become puffy. My russian does it too, it's normal so don't worry!

It is not "normal" for them to puff up and get swollen.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

Thanks!

What type of UV bulb are you using? The pet stores often push the cfl coil type bulbs and those can sometimes burn their eyes. This is the first variable I would like to eliminate.

Read these for more russian care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Lauren13705

It is not "normal" for them to puff up and get swollen.

My russian's eyes does it, then goes away in seconds. I'm pretty sure it's just their third eyelids. I thought it was normal, I apologize..