Tortoise eye help

MrFlyingOwls

Location (City and/or State)
London
I noticed when I was giving my Russian tortoise a soak that his eyes weren’t opening properly. It looks like maybe the third eyelid is stuck.
I’ve left him overnight and now his eye is looking watery. Bit unsure on what to do,
Looking things up last night I was hoping it was dehydration or allergies but how long should I wait before taking him to the vets?

I’ve just changed and sterilised (with boiling water) everything in his tank in case it was his eyes getting irritated
His house is 30 on one end and 25 on the other, and I have a little tray of water out always. He eats mainly kale but sometimes have to mix it with romaine lettuce to get him to eat it. He’s eating fine at the moment and seems happy and energetic it’s just the eyes. I tried to take a picture but I couldn’t get a good shot.
I added moss today in case maybe the tank wasn’t humid enough but he does soak weekly

Hoping there’s maybe some advice on here with people who have experienced stuff like this before?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What type of bulb are you using for UVB?

Fluorescent tube? Mercury Vapour Bulb? Compact (Mini) UVB with a screw thread?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, he's just a little baby! How cute!!

It looks like he's got a lot of sand stuck to him, but I don't see 'sand' in your enclosure pictures????? Sand can be an eye irritant. Try to find a product labelled as "orchid bark." Since orchids are sensitive, orchid bark is sure to be free of contaminants, pesticides, etc. Orchid bark is composed of clean fir bark. I would change out your substrate and use orchid bark. See if that doesn't help his eyes.

MrFlyingOwls

London
Ah thanks, this isn't the substrate I've been using I just swapped it all out today and this was one I was suggested >< I'll change it as soon as possible.
But yeah the irritation happened before the more sandy substrate :/

MrFlyingOwls

London
I now have him booked in for a vets appointment however one of his eyes has gotten worse and has now swollen shut. Any last minute advice before wednesday? I just don’t want him to be uncomfortable :(

Tortlelover65

Colorado
I now have him booked in for a vets appointment however one of his eyes has gotten worse and has now swollen shut. Any last minute advice before wednesday? I just don’t want him to be uncomfortable :(
I think you should wait for the veterinarian checks it out. The vet will figure out exactly what to do for that little guy.

MrFlyingOwls

London
Baby boy has been to the vets now and being treated for an eye infection.

Trying to change out some of the things I’m using and someone on here mentioned orchid bark and someone else online orchid mulch/sphagnum moss. But I can’t find anywhere at all to buy it- does anyone have a link at all? I live in the uk