Rubbing Shells and scutes with Almond Oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deenthetortoise

5 Year Member
Hello, I was recently told that rubbing in the shell of a leopard tortoise with almond oil is beneficial for its healthy growth and supplement? Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks

Annieski

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edison, N.J.
I wouldn't recommend putting anything on a tortoise shell, unless it was because of an injury and it was part of a "medical" treatment. I would try to stay as close to "natural" as possible--- water---mud bath[ and then a rinse] for max. sun exposure. JMO

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Sounds more like a trick to make it look shiny. Tortoises wouldn't have access to almond oil in the wild and yet they grow big and beautiful. I don't see any benefit of using it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not an advocate of topicals for a tortoise. Just a soft bristle brush and some water will do just fine.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
We are finding more and more that hydration/humidity/moisture is key during the developmental phase of a tortoise's growth to help keep the shell smooth. Using oil on the shell MAY help trap moisture under it and help promote smooth growth, but I believe that there are better ways to do this.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I add a few drops of olive oil to bath water once every couple of months or I brush a small amount in between the scutes occasionally and I've never had any problems with it.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Madkins007 said:
We are finding more and more that hydration/humidity/moisture is key during the developmental phase of a tortoise's growth to help keep the shell smooth. Using oil on the shell MAY help trap moisture under it and help promote smooth growth, but I believe that there are better ways to do this.
I agree that wetting the carapice will help smooth growth.But putting oil on the shell will cause it to shed water,not trap moisture.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Yourlocalpoet has one of smoothest leopards you're ever gonna see. I'd be hesitant to say that it's because of the oil solely, but whatever she did worked pretty dang well. If it were me, I'd maybe give it a shot using small infrequent amounts (If I remember right, that's what she did).

I've never heard of a tort getting sick, injured, or in any way harmed because of a little bit of olive oil.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
PeanutbuttER said:
I've never heard of a tort getting sick, injured, or in any way harmed because of a little bit of olive oil.

I'd have to agree with you on that. It is easy to knee-jerk react against it, but in reality, I doubt it is any big deal as long as you are not going whacky with it.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I would be afraid it could clog pores and attract dirt but have know proof that it will hurt.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Missy said:
I would be afraid it could clog pores and attract dirt but have know proof that it will hurt.

Attract dirt... maybe, but I am not sure that it would hurt in any way.

Clog pores... the outer layers of scutes are pretty much dead keratin. There are no hair pores, oil pores (no zits on reptiles), or sweat pores to block- much like your fingernails.

In fact, fingernails are probably a decent model here- would a thin layer of oil on your fingernails be a horrible thing? Not really. Would it be a BENEFICIAL thing? Not sure.

jeepchic_70

5 Year Member
I use vita shell on my tortoise..as in Alaska it is so dry...only once a month or so...it has lanolin in it which helps keep my hingebacks hinges flexible...Ive had him for 13 years...no problems thus far!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Vitashell is not a good product to use--it has wax and oil. A couple drops of olive or almond oil is very different from a product containing wax. I personally don't agree with the use of any amount of oil, but don't feel as strongly about it as the use of products containing wax, which are very bad. Once you start using products on your tort's shell, not using them will then dry the shell out more. The wax especially is bad to put on the shell, which is a living part of the tortoise, and has pores. Tortoises are very hearty and you might not see any ill effects for a long time, but that doesn't mean it isn't causing harm.

Turtle Vitashell Ingredients: Purified Softened Water, Sunflower Oil, Emulsifying Wax, Cetyl Alcohol, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Soybean Oil, Olive Oil, Glycerin, Lanolin, Cottonseed Oil, Steramidopropyl, Dimethylamine Lactate, Protein Conditioners, Diazolidnyl Urea, Rosemary Oil, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, FD&C Yellow #6.

Does anyone worry about having oil on the tort's shell and them going out in the sun?

Status
Not open for further replies.