Ruby the Redfoot needs your help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosey

5 Year Member
I have 2 Redfoot Tortoises, Rosey and Ruby. Ruby is a gorgeous 7 inch redfoot female that we have had for almost 2 months. When we first got her she was a PIG. She would chow down on her greens and anything else...

Lately Ruby has been eating very little and sometimes not at all. She has been this way for the past week. I dont know what the problem is or what is going on with her. At first I thought she just had an upset tummy because she also has very bad diarrhea. Its been a week now and she still has diarrhea and is eating about 1/3 to 1/2 her normal amount.

Can someone please help me?

This is her care:

Daytime temp 80 degrees ambient temperature, cool end where their hides at is 72-75 degrees. Basking spot is between 90 and 95. Humidity is being regulated with a warm mist humidifier and is never below 50 and is usually around 70-80%.

I feed them in the morning a pile of spring mix with kale, curly mustard and collard on top of it. I also add in one or two of the following: red pepper, cactus, baby food carrots (sparingly) yellow squash , zucchini, butternut squash or timothy hay (ground up).

In the evening they get a small snack. They get a strawberry about 3-4 times a week and the other nights I give them red pepper mixed with cactus or yellow squash. I give them 3 pinkie mice each about once every 2 weeks as their evening snack.

I dust with a vitamin supplement (Reptolife) once a week and also a Calcium with D3 (Reptocal) once a week. I also have a cuttlebone in their enclosure and pure calcium without D3 that I occasionaly add.

She is still quite alert and very lovey, she seems to want to cuddle with me all the time. Its breaking my heart to think there is something wrong with her. I called the only vet around here that claims to handle exotics and they didnt seem very competent about tortoises. There is a vet listed on the vet list on this site in Boise with is about 5 hours drive. If I have to ill take her there.

Does anyone have any advice or idea of what might be wrong with my girl? Id really appreciate it...

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I would start with a fecal exam. Torts have a certain amount of buggies in their gut flora that are usually in check. If their immune system weakens, the buggies can start increasing causing problems. By buggies I mean protozoa. You can also check out Madkin's health checklist at http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/symptoms.html

I wouldn't worry too much at this time, she is still eating and alert. But a fecal will reveal if there is a protozoan overload which is easily treated. If the two are kept together, you should separate and also get Rosey a fecal check too. Keep us posted.

Allegra

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
A few thoughts, but nothing real solid...

- Baby food (as well as things like frozen fruits and other forms where the cell walls are broken open) are thought to cause runny bowels in tortoises. This is one of Andy Highfield's opinions (tortoisetrust.org).
- The temps overall may be a bit low. Can you raise the low and mid-range temps about 5 more degrees?
- The overall humidity sounds a bit low as well. Can you offer a more humid area within the habitat? Depending on how you are set up, offering a warm rain for a while may help.
- There may be some subtle bullying or domination going on. Larger or dominant tortoises often stress smaller or less dominant torts by taking the best food, best basking area, best sleeping area, etc. If this is happening (and it is usually not easy to see), you can either offer more space or separate the animals.
- I would assume you are having about the same coolish weather we have been having here, so the answer may be 'no' right now, but- Any chance of getting them outside even for a few hours a day? Natural weather and food, as well as bigger spaces, etc. often help.

Otherwise, I'd listen to Allegra- she's a great resource!

Rosey

5 Year Member
How do you treat the prtozoa infection? She does appear to have multiple symptoms of it. Would yogurt be helpful?

Rosey

5 Year Member
So today Ruby ate double what she normally eats. I tried to get her to eat some yogurt to balance out the flora in her stomach naturally but she wanted nothing to do with it and walked over to her salad and started munching. She hasnt pooed yet today so im not sure how thats looking.. I will post back soon,...

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Okay, first, I wouldn't give her yogurt. I have no experience with treating protozoa problems with yogurt, that may be only for people with digestive issues. Reptile and mammalian bodies work differently, what may work for you may not be good for them. Second, you will need a fecal exam from your vet. The vet will take a sample and look at it under the microscope. If there are swimming things, that is protozoa. Even though your vet is not familiar with torts per se, he should be able to treat it easily with the proper medication. It also may be parasites. Depending on what the fecal reveals will be what the the vet prescribes. I would go sooner rather than later to the vet to avoid any issues with dehydration associated with the runny poo.

Rosey

5 Year Member
Ruby seems well today. She has eaten double her normal amount and has not had any diarrhea today. I'm. Going to keep a close eye on her to see if the symptoms return and if so she will be headed to the vet...

Status
Not open for further replies.