running fast asf with mouth open??

tortyboyman

Location (City and/or State)
UAE, Abu Dhabi
i took my tortoise out to the sun today its around 36c for around 40 minutes ish and i came back to see it and it was running around faster than ive ever seen with its mouth open? is it RI or is it overheating? hes chilling in his bath, might just take him to a vet.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Jesus man! its all my fault. I just took him into a 50x50 box just for a short period of time so he can get some UVB. I should look into making him a hiding spot then.
Absolutely. 50x50 box under 36C could be a death sentence. Hiding place in such a small box won't help much too. You need to make a "deep" shade (some layers of shade - like a shade cloth or tree, a box lid and finally - a hide buried in a damp substrate) and a larger box. Only 50% or less of the box should under the direct sun.
If you have no larger boxes - always put this small one in shade (UAE sun is fierce and he'll get enough UVB anyway).

Here is a post about "deep shade":

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big is he? A fenced in area made with bricks or wood, is better then a box or high sided enclosure. Shade is important and sides that aren't too high as it blocks wind/breeze. Water should always be available too.

tortyboyman

UAE, Abu Dhabi
How big is he? A fenced in area made with bricks or wood, is better then a box or high sided enclosure. Shade is important and sides that aren't too high as it blocks wind/breeze. Water should always be available too.
about 2 inches, its a hatchling. its my leisure area of my apartment complex, so i cant really be giving him a large area for outside sun unfortunately. the sun exposure is hopefully rather temporary before i can get him a proper 10 uvb tube.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
about 2 inches, its a hatchling. its my leisure area of my apartment complex, so i cant really be giving him a large area for outside sun unfortunately. the sun exposure is hopefully rather temporary before i can get him a proper 10 uvb tube.
The sun is much better than any bulb. However, it does have to be done safe. I tortoise can still get UV in the shade. Deep shade not so much, but shade still gets uvb. If it's really hot there, take her out in the cooler part of the day, early morning or late afternoon but still with shade and water.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also a dog crate or something like pictured with a bottom on it is a good safe moveable enclosure that lets lots of air movement and can be set down anywhere and shade can be made with a towel, blanket, of other items.
Screenshot_20240512-080040.png

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How is your little tortoise now? He needs to be soaked for an hour or two in tepid water to a level of where the top and bottom shells meet. This is the most important treatment for overheating and dehydration.

tortyboyman

UAE, Abu Dhabi
How is your little tortoise now? He needs to be soaked for an hour or two in tepid water to a level of where the top and bottom shells meet. This is the most important treatment for overheating and dehydration.
Hes chilling, i soaked him for like what 20-30 minutes? he began wanting to crawl out. Humidified his enclosure. I did the paper towel method to soak his shell from the outside.