Runny nose

BobbyJ

My redfoot has a runny nose I took him to the vet because he wasn't eating . He has not eaten in almost 2 months and I thought he was starting to look better because he's been on anti biotic ... He ate two days ago a few bites and now it's back to the same old ... Anyone know anything about this ?? Thank you

Killerrookie

Sounds like a RI but not sure. What is the temp of your enclosure day and night? What is the humidity? Can we see a picture of your little one as well.

BobbyJ

Sounds like a RI but not sure. What is the temp of your enclosure day and night? What is the humidity? Can we see a picture of your little one as well.
I definitely have a respitory infection , the vet said so.. I'm just worried bc he looks a lot healthier , and finally ate a few bites the other day , and now after that he still won't wat again , I offer fresh food everyday , and I offer everything! He just doesn't seem interested . He's got a basking spot that's about 90 the rest of the enclosure in in the 80s and then the cool side all the way away from the light is prob 70 to 75

BobbyJ

I thought he was better?
Sorry to hear.
I mean he's definetly better , both his eyes open wide now and he looks way healthier and he also eats now ,, he doesn't like kale but he likes romaine lettuce and cantelope fruit ... My next project is going to be keeping the humidity high ... I have a humidifier now but it says not to run it 24/7 .. So I'm thinking of buying a regular home humidifier and just putting a tube on it so I can run it constantly

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Have you read about RF tortoises at the Tortoise Library ? It was written by one of our moderators and has some very good insight into keeping the RF tortoise.

I would have the overall temperature in the habitat a moist 80F degrees. RF tortoises don't need a hot side/cool side. They need a nice large area that has many plants to hide in and around, a moist substrate and warm air. Once you have his habitat set up properly, the eating will fall right into place.

I went back and re-read some of your previous posts and I think you're using the wrong type of UV light. If you're using a compact fluorescent bulb, either the spiral-shaped bulb or the 'U' shaped bulb, you should stop using that right away, and get either a tube-type or a Mercury Vapor bulb. The tube type works well for RF tortoises, but its very bright, so you'll need to diffuse its light by having lots of plants in the enclosure.

BobbyJ

Have you read about RF tortoises at the Tortoise Library ? It was written by one of our moderators and has some very good insight into keeping the RF tortoise.

I would have the overall temperature in the habitat a moist 80F degrees. RF tortoises don't need a hot side/cool side. They need a nice large area that has many plants to hide in and around, a moist substrate and warm air. Once you have his habitat set up properly, the eating will fall right into place.

I went back and re-read some of your previous posts and I think you're using the wrong type of UV light. If you're using a compact fluorescent bulb, either the spiral-shaped bulb or the 'U' shaped bulb, you should stop using that right away, and get either a tube-type or a Mercury Vapor bulb. The tube type works well for RF tortoises, but its very bright, so you'll need to diffuse its light by having lots of plants in the enclosure.
Yup I'm planning on making a vivarium this month and I'll load it with plants .. He hides all day in the one I have now

Last edited: