Russain Tortoise eye problem

DeeCarr7

Ive had my tortoise for nearly 2 weeks, hes russain tortoise and hes around 3-4 weeks old, ive noticed one of his eyes looks bigger than the other one, like weirdly big, should i be worried?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcme:). Please post a pic and give us as much info out his enclosure, lights, heat, substrate, diet, soakings, etc as possible. Also, if you are using any coil type bulbs, that's probably the problem, as they cause eye problems.

mikey~t

Given that you say he's new, are you also new to keeping him (I'm guessing yes, given the amount of other information you've not included)
Look really closely at him, is there any colour there (specifically red?). Blood round his eyes maybe (like something's got in there)
Is he either rubbing his eyes, or is that one closed over?

DeeCarr7

Its hard to get a picture of his eye because only the the odd time and yeah he brushes it up against his leg, and ill attach a picture of his viv theres no blood or anything in his eye, it just looks a bit bigger and glazed sometime and he looks like its irritating him

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 57

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dee, and welcome to the Forum!

I see a couple things wrong with your tortoise's habitat...wrong substrate, too small and light is too bright for size of habitat.

You need a substrate that you can moisten a bit. Full grown Russian tortoises don't need a lot of humidity, but a little is quite helpful. Some of us like coconut coir (available at pet stores), some like orchid bark (available at plant nurseries), some like to use clean dirt from the yard.

Russian tortoises are wanderers. They cover great distances in their natural life. They get stressed out when kept in a small habitat such as yours is. All my Russians live outside, but if I have to ever have one in the house for whatever reason, I use the absolutely biggest plastic bin I can find. Even a horse water trough is good.

In order for your tortoise to get away from that harsh light, he would have to stay in his hiding place all day long. Move the light up a little bit and put in some light diffusers, such as plastic plants, driftwood, etc.

My guess on your eye problem is that the smaller eye is actually the one to be concerned about. I'll bet he has something in it and is holding it closed, or semi-closed. But we'll really need to see a picture to be able to help you with that.

DeeCarr7

Oh my god i cant believe this i paid £400 for yhe full thing and they said that its everything hed need and this viv would do him for life im furious!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry you got fooled by the pet store unkownledgeables. Don't feel bad, your not alone. Many have come here after the fact, just too find out everything they were sold or told was wrong. I would try too return everything you can and start over with the right stuff and hopefully whatever is left that they would not take back can be incorporated. Or, you could save the enclosure for a small lizard.:D

DeeCarr7

Hahahahha yepp!! Ill call them tomorrow im so annoyed! Thank you so much!

DeeCarr7

I finally got good pictures! Does his eye look weirs or am i being paranoid?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 27

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, you're right. There's definitely something wrong with that eye. My guess would be that a male tortoise has bitten off the tortoise's eyelid. Have you ever seen that eye blink or be closed?

Male Russian tortoises are very aggressive. This tortoise was kept with others before you bought it, and has been injured in the process. I think you need to go to the vet and get an expert opinion on what you should be doing for the eye. You may need drops to sooth the eye because the tortoise can't blink. But I can't really be sure just by looking at a picture. You need a vet to look at the tortoise in real life to get a good solid opinion of what to do.

DeeCarr7

Its only like this sometimes though? And yeah he can blink an everything most of the time its normal but then sometimes on a nightime its like that