Greek spur tortoise refusing food

Echo12

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Ive had the tortoise for 38yrs hes around 30cm in size, based in UK and very used to normal British weather. He hibernates every year, he spends almost all the time outside in the garden, free to roam. His diet is mainly dandelion, romaine lettuce, clover , weeds in grass, grapes

From Tue/Wednesday last week hes stopped eating, he may sniff the food but then moves away (in disgust!) wont drink from a water bowl or if sat in a bath. Hes urinated and pooped, which looks normal but not a lot as he hasnt been eating, eyes are bright and open, no runny nose, inside mouth looks normal, walks around but tends to sleep a lot. I usually bring him in everynight and normally hes climbing out his box first thing in desperation to get some sun, but for the last week hes been quite happy just to sit and stay in the box, he’s acting the same as he does prior to hibernation.

As you know weve been having a lot of hot weather lately, even in the shade its 27+C ,obviously normal for a med tortoise and very normal to hide out of sun all day but always early evening he feeds until this last week, at first I thought maybe hes eaten something and has upset stomach and so maybe he needs time to get over it and regain his appetite. But then I just read about estivation could it be this? hes never done it before but then to be fair hes never had a summer this hot for this long, always get cold days and rain.

Could it be something else? obviously a little concerened as his weight will start to drop and only have around 8 weeks before he starts to stop eating for hibernation and if it is estivation how long will it go on for before he starts eating again? With the hot weather due to last a few more weeks will he just eat when he’s good and ready?

Mo & Bolt

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Ive had the tortoise for 38yrs hes around 30cm in size, based in UK and very used to normal British weather. He hibernates every year, he spends almost all the time outside in the garden, free to roam. His diet is mainly dandelion, romaine lettuce, clover , weeds in grass, grapes

From Tue/Wednesday last week hes stopped eating, he may sniff the food but then moves away (in disgust!) wont drink from a water bowl or if sat in a bath. Hes urinated and pooped, which looks normal but not a lot as he hasnt been eating, eyes are bright and open, no runny nose, inside mouth looks normal, walks around but tends to sleep a lot. I usually bring him in everynight and normally hes climbing out his box first thing in desperation to get some sun, but for the last week hes been quite happy just to sit and stay in the box, he’s acting the same as he does prior to hibernation.

As you know weve been having a lot of hot weather lately, even in the shade its 27+C ,obviously normal for a med tortoise and very normal to hide out of sun all day but always early evening he feeds until this last week, at first I thought maybe hes eaten something and has upset stomach and so maybe he needs time to get over it and regain his appetite. But then I just read about estivation could it be this? hes never done it before but then to be fair hes never had a summer this hot for this long, always get cold days and rain.

Could it be something else? obviously a little concerened as his weight will start to drop and only have around 8 weeks before he starts to stop eating for hibernation and if it is estivation how long will it go on for before he starts eating again? With the hot weather due to last a few more weeks will he just eat when he’s good and ready?
Hi my name is Gill , I have a very similar situation,. I have adopted 2 males, one 50 yrs and other 30s . They have both stopped eating since I have had them. They have lived together for 30 yrs, and always bashed and mounted each other. I have a deviding fence now , to see if it made any difference to them eating. I haven't changed Their diet, But I am now very worried that because they have both lost weight 35 grams that they will not make it through hibernation.
Have yours started to eat. I am also interested in how you hibernate them. I am new to al this